Early A body 4 speed

-

racingsnake440

Reaction score
I've been offered an early A body 4 speed cheap. Unfortunately it has the trunnion output shaft. I also have most of a later A833. Can I take the output shaft and extension housing from the later trans and use it on the early trans?

Good question. I have wondered the same thing. I would think you could, but not too sure myself. I will have to keep an eye on this thread.

Good question. I have wondered the same thing. I would think you could, but not too sure myself. I will have to keep an eye on this thread.

Well 30 years ago I did take an output shaft and I know it took a few other changes too from a later trans, but I made the trans into a later model driveshaft yoke style.

I can also tell you that the early trunion style is very strong and you can make it work too.

if its cheap enough, id grab it just because its a 4 speed. never know when youll need it

the early A four speeds have an 3;09 first gear,,,the tail shaft converts easaly
u need the main shaft and the tail housing from a newer tranny,,,,i did that to the one i use in my 66 its a trunion trans with a 3.09 first gear and converted tail shaft,,,behind a 340 with a blower and 22 inch wide tires,,,

trunion trannys usually have a 3.09 1st gear. yes you can swap it over by changing the main shaft and tail shaft

Yes, the tailshaft and the mainshaft change will work. I did one about 20 years ago. I still have it. With 4:86 gears and slicks I could get a little daylight under the wheels of my 340 duster.

They didn't happen to give you a 6 cyl bell housing with that early 4 speed did they? If they did I have a 360 4 speed bell to trade or a 273 4 speed bell to trade

I have heard of another way to be able to do away with the ball and trunion setup...an adapter bolts to the tranny by the 4 bolts and a truck style drive shaft "2 piece"is used but big and bulky.:munky2:

heres a guy that has that conversion you are talking about,,, he makes them for the max wedge racers that have the push button tranny with the ball and trunion,,, sharadon performance ( 651 ) 426-0061

www.shardon.com

-
Back