Early A Body Fender/Engine Compartment Alignment?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
We are performing final assembly of body parts on the '65 Formula S and I have a question regarding the five bolts that attach the fender to the engine compartment alongside both sides of the hood. The middle three bolts line up fine and we can screw them in almost completely by hand. However, with respect to the rear bolt (near the hood hinge) and the front bolt (nearest the front hood bumper) there appears to be a little gap in the space there (see photos).

My question is whether these these front and rear bolts should just be tightened down along with the middle three bolts without another thought, or if perhaps the factory left a space there with a purpose, perhaps to accommodate spacers or washers to fill in the gaps? I disassembled things more than two years ago so memory is not much help at this point. Thank you.

DSC07559.JPG

DSC07558.JPG

Here is a photo (from another '65 A Body) showing the section where the three middle bolts are located and the perfect alignment of the panels in that area.

old fender alignment.JPG

I would be more concerned about hood alignment before I pass judgement in this area. Maybe to get the hood to fit right you will need that little extra room. Maybe test fit hood first to see its gaps. Good luck.

Just bolt it down. I have never seen a spacer or shim in those locations. 65'

My '66 had studs (factory original) and nuts with large integral fender washers in those front and rear locations, both sides. One side had body shims, the other did not. My guess is they used the studs to hang the fenders, shimmed if needed to get their gaps close, and tightened it all down.

On 65 A-bodies you have a pin in the front hole, the lower hole close to the rockers and the rear upper hole close to the door. Reason is to help the assembly line workers to hang up a fender and then focus on getting them in line. Usually you have shims in all three locations.
You should have a rubberised body sealer between the body and the fender. It was on a roll and simetimes added very strange.

Last edited:
-
Back