Early A-body Rear Seat Belts

-

jysnflem

Reaction score
Last year in June I became a father of a beautiful girl. She's really amazing and at age 39 I've really been blessed by her and my wife. By mid summer she'll be ready to go out in the Dart with me and I need to install some rear seat belts. Does anyone have factory rear seat belts on these cars and if so can you post a picture of where the factory mounted them to the body? Maybe a underside picture would get me in the general area. Thanks Jayson

baby.jpg

I had to do the same with the arrival of our grandson 3 years ago. I bought the Simpson Racing/Graco car seat!!!!! Way cool! Anyhow, I bought 4 new seatbelts from one of the street rod suppliers that match my interior. Used the oe front mounts. Removed the back seat and used the supplied mounts with the belts. If you go this route, get the button style releases not the lift up style like the oem's. As she gets older, she will be able to unlatch it herself..

Bob
64 Dart 270 post

Thanks for that link hkeller, I'm sure it'll help out the OP tons and others too. All but one of the early A's I've ever had lacked seatbelts. The Valiant is the perfect drive in couples cruiser, I've got to install some before summer, that article will be loads of help.

To the OP, you can get some nice looking original early styled repro seatbelts from the paddock, it's $25 a belt. All they show on theire website is the '70's style plastic buckled ones, but they have the '60's chrome buckle ones in their catalog also, P/N CTSB

I just did this a few months ago on my 65 barracuda and followed the same directions in the link above. The only problem I had was that I had to mount the outside belts further inboard (or was it outboard?) by a hair. My original pilot hole wound up in the frame rail. Also, the belts I ordered had a smaller hole in the metal tabs for mounting, so I had to ream them out to use the original mounting bolt for the front seats.

The next issue will be when they get big enough to need shoulder belts, but I think I'm SOL.

Good luck.

Thanks for the link. That will help a lot. Jayson

Hope you find those belts. You've got some precious cargo there. toolman

-
Back