Early A-Body Windshields, good purchase!

-

KitCarlson

Reaction score
I was returning home a few days ago heading west at sundown. The wife said, "get a windshield". My original windshield has pits from the original owner driving the desert from CA to NV. I jumped on the opportunity, and went looking, and found a new one like the original, with the tinted top, on ebay. It was only $180 buy now, and picked up immediately, in Nashville. There are other locations too. It was from PGW (Pittsburgh Glass Works). The ebay seller is ChevyExtreme8. He has a 100% rating.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-1966-P...Parts_Accessories&hash=item45ecff992f&vxp=mtr

Now waiting for a warmer day to put it in. I will try to post how that goes, and the process.

I found out that these windshields are still available, a local shop quoted $150:D

I used to work for a glass distributor that sold auto glass... Our cost for a windshield was $60.00 I took home 2 for my 65 Barracuda!!!

It was about 80 degrees here so I replaced the windshield. Getting the old one out was easy. I removed the lock strip, then got the wife to get inside and push it out with her feet. I caught it, and no damage.

Then cleaned the original seal and body edge. I also removed the interior trim, to give working room.

I placed butyl caulk tape that measured 1/4" x 1/16", around the opening and installed the gasket, and got the wife to help hold one side. I set it in the bottom, then pushed the gasket back at the corners using a plastic pry tool. I took care to only make adjustments to the gasket, without contacting the glass. I worked up the sides, top edge was last. I then replaced lock strip, by inserting one side, then used tool to pry back gasket while pressing on lock strip.

original windshield has pits from the original owner driving the desert from CA to NV

You have tweaked a mystery for me. Last spring, I bought a 2006 BMW in Nevada. The car had spent all of its one-owner life in Los Angeles and appears to have been wholesaled to a dealer in Las Vegas, where I found it.

I'd previously bought a used car in Monterey CA and was pleased that its paint had no rock chips and the original windshield was like new. Not so my latest purchase. The glass and paint are as pitted as if the car had spent its first six years here in Edmonton, where the City dumps sand and gravel on icy roads all winter long. The hood badge has hardly any paint left on it.

I've driven in LA and I know the roads are clean and pothole-free - well, relative to the frost-crated cart tracks around here. What would cause this pitting on car surfaces in southern California? Excessive sun? Dust storms? Nasty kids with pellet guns?

Thanks for the link, and can pickup local. My wife isn't as accomodating of my old A's, so the comments here will help. The butyl tape is a good idea, since that is how they bond modern windshields.

I lived in the Mojave Desert for 3 years. Windshields get pitted there, even in a single sandstorm. One time, the wind was so bad we had to park on the far side of the restaurant in Mojave so the blowing pebbles wouldn't strip my paint. My Newport's windshield is still a bit scratched, though 20 yrs in a normal environment has helped smooth it out. Those windshields are harder to find.

Bill,
There was gray butyl calk under the rubber seal when I took it out 34 years ago. I cleaned it out, and used silicone under the seal by inserting the nozzle, and going around. It did not show, or leak, but it was a pain to clean up this time.

I drove the car today, what a difference. Better tha new glasses.

Yes it is Gary, I hope I have no problem locating one for mine when the time comes, my be I should get one now before the windshield can't be found.

That is what I thought. After all the cleaning and prep work, it was 30 minutes to drop it in and replace the trim. The wife helped only a few minutes. With experience it could be a one person job, except for the initial pop out.

Got to keep them in my memory bank "PGW"....Thx!

I have 1 for sale for a 65 barracuda or it fits many other cars I will take 150.00 + shipping unless you can pic up its tinted and chip free all the glass and doors are for sale

The one for my '64 Valiant was under $200 installed, from the local "chain" mobile glass place....that was with my gasket and lock strip, and included the install of my rear glass, also with my gasket and lock strip....

I have seen new windshield gaskets but what about rear window gaskets. I have a 64 Dart and I think that they are the same as 64-66 not barracuda cars. Is that correct and who is selling rear gaskets?

Thanks,
Mike

The fronts are the same, the rear different for Darts, Valiant, and Barracuda. My car been garage kept, so the gaskets are good, never looked for replacements. I think Metro may have the fronts. I am no help for the rear.

-
Back