Early A Body Wipers

-

wheelsport

Reaction score
Early Barracudas came with a variety wiper switches. My car has a variable wiper switch. My wipers will run for a minute and then stop and after a minute will run again. They won't park when the switch is turned off. It is obvious that a breaker switch is causing the problem and the motor may have a problem with the park feature. The question is - is the breaker in the motor or the switch? The linkage appears to move freely.

Make sure the switch is well grounded, to start.
The switch has a breaker on it.
Was anything changed before this issue?

This is the way the wipers worked when I bought the car. The switch bolts directly to the dash. I've been living with this problem for four years. I finally decided to do something about it. Is the switch internally grounded or should I locate the ground wire on the switch and make sure it goes to a good ground?

The switch body gets grounded to the dash.
But it may not be a good contact,had the same problem.
Make sure connections under the dash are good and correct.

Some of the switches have the breaker inside. My 67 switch finally failed completely. I took the switch apart and found the bimetal link cracked completely in two. I figured out how to add a cycling circuit breaker on the outside of that switch. Wipers would still run and stop, and run and stop and I could feel the circuit breaker click. It worked fine with linkage disconnected. Binding in the wiper pivots was the root of the problem.
I didn't have problem with park function.

Someone in the past may have installed a wiper delay system too.

-
Back