Early A brake shoe interchange?

-

TAK65

Reaction score
Hi A-bodies,
I have a 1963 Dart 270, US made, residing in Spain. My front brakes seem to be a bit uneven so it failed to pass the registration inspection. In case I will need new brake shoes, does anyone know if the spanish-made Darts (Barreiro) used the same brake shoes? If so, it would possibly be easier and cheaper to buy them here locally instead of ordering from USA. AFAIK the drums are the original 9" ones.
Thanks!

Probably best answered by a European resident. @65dartcharger

Were Darts available for sale in Spain in 1963? I can't imagine brakes would be different whether they were imported or not.

Assuming you would have to order these locally and then pick them up, can you remove a pair from your car and compare them side by side when you pick them up?

Last edited:
Assuming you would have to order these locally and then pick them up, can you remove a pair from your car and compare them side by side when you pick them up?
Probably yes. I'll first see what the guy in the shop says, hopefully just needing adjustment (brakes and stops just fine but the machine said they're no good...). Only trying to gather knowledge beforehand as no one probably has these in stock.

If needed in the future, pull one front drum and one rear drum. Measure the drum diameter front and rear. Measure shoe width front and rear. Send us a picture of front and rear. Then we will know what you have, if different, and can advise.

What I know of the Spanish built Darts (Barreiros) used the standard 9 inch brakes for cars with 225 slant six and 10 inch brakes for cars built with V8. I have a Barreiros broschure and it says 9 inch.
Let me know if you can't find brake shoes. I have them and can ship within EU without tax!

What I know of the Spanish built Darts (Barreiros) used the standard 9 inch brakes for cars with 225 slant six and 10 inch brakes for cars built with V8. I have a Barreiros broschure and it says 9 inch.
Let me know if you can't find brake shoes. I have them and can ship within EU without tax!
That's good to know, I will know in a week or so. Thank you!

The nominal brake size is based on the drum's inside diameter by the lining width (not drum width).

If you look in the last pages of a Dodge or Plymouth service manual, the nominal sizes are usually listed. I've not looked at '63 so I can't swear that will be true for your year but I expect it to be.

Shoes are usually stamped with the industry standard 'frame number'
It will look like this. This number is not what you'll find on your car, just an example.
upload_2020-4-14_13-42-15-png-png.png

Some replacement part manufacturers use the FMS in their part number. A few do not.
Sometimes the replacement parts companies supercede or cross reference these. Is it OK to use a cross ref or superceded number? I sure can't tell you what they base it on because I don't know. Have I used substitute numbers? Yes. Definately compare the differences and if needed get the old ones relined when the opportunity presents.

You can pick up some additional info and tips in Master Technician Service Conference - Chrysler's Training for Mechanics
Relevant info for your brakes are in 1963, 64
Before that is different type of system.
1969 the drum adjusters changed and so did the shoes. Sometimes those shoes are backward compatible. Even so, in my opinion its best to use the new 1969 style hardware and self-adjuster system if using the new '69 type shoes.

-
Back