Early A front anti sway bar mount

-

Mopar Tim

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. How do you remove the front frame mount bushings? And where do you get replacements? Thank you. In case anyone wondered, they are welded in!

Last edited:
Thank you. In case anyone wondered, they are welded in
That's the hard part.

I have heard of guys cutting the weld, and also warming up the rubber and adding propper lube / soap suds and squeezing the replacement bushings in.

As for replacements....

Here is one source for 67 up. They might be the same as early, or adaptable,
67 dart sway bar bushings - Google Search

Dang, I wish my 66 was handy to get to. I don't think I replaced mine.

Layson's is the only place I have seen that carries the square bushings for the early A sway bar. Admittedly, I have not done an exhaustive search. I just did an easy search. The link might work. It might not.

I just did this replacement on my 65 Barracuda so I will describe what I did. Your mileage may vary.

I ordered the 7/8 inch hole bushings (GG80c). How did I arrive at this size? A 7/8 inch wrench barely fit over the bar. Is this the correct sway bar for this car? Who knows? My car is not a factory sway bar car. I bought this sway bar in 1989 from a guy who had an ad listed on the back page of the Plymouth Barracuda/Cuda Owners Club newsletter. He said it was off of a 65 Barracuda, but I have no way of knowing if he was telling the truth. It could have come off of a Citroen for all I know. He shipped it COD; remember those days?

Anyway this sway bar does have the weird looking "squished-squarish" sway bar bushing mounts . I ordered the GG80C bushings and slid them easily onto the bar. I tried every method and technique to get the bushings pressed into those "squishy-squarish" brackets. I used soap, silicone, press ,sacrificing a live chicken... you name it. All those efforts got me was a split and broken bushing. So I had to order another one.

So I cut the bracket at the weld, pried it open a little, slid the bushing in, clamped it back together and welded it back. I was worried about overheating the bushing because a) it's a rubber bushing in a piece of hot metal and b) I am NOT a good welder at all. But everything turned out ok. Seriously, nothing smoked or distorted. Not gonna lie, these bushings don't exactly fit perfect (remember we are taking a square bushing and putting it in a "squarish" hole) but they do in fact work. My old bushings were so worn out that pieces fell out when I removed the bar so I can't even compare the shapes.

Anyway, a quick paint and some new end links and it handles as well as it ever did back in the early 90s before everything wore out.

They are captured on a metal “box” that is welded together. I think you have to slide them off the end of the bar, but haven’t tried it yet. By the way, I still need another set of mounts like those shown in the pictures. The only replies I got before were from scammers. Hope this helps.

C737DD01-A47D-4316-A1FC-AC0380C296F7.jpeg

68F5D0AA-BE57-4A2A-8B0D-C7A703C6D0C6.jpeg

Or you could go aftermarket - Addco, Helwig, etc. That’s what i decided to do, so I went with the Helwig oversize, hollow sway bar. I will be installing it in a couple of weeks

Or you could go aftermarket - Addco, Helwig, etc. That’s what i decided to do, so I went with the Helwig oversize, hollow sway bar. I will be installing it in a couple of weeks
They do not fit. to wide.

If listing shows past 66 it won't fit early....even then it might not

The 55917 is for 67-76

5B869B13-DBC4-42F2-8C7C-AFAC35104D4C.pngthe

55914 is for the 63-66 A Bodies per the Hellwig web site

3C6ACFDC-23AF-44B7-8EB9-FA6D7F9511A7.png

I think all they do is change the mounting kit.....I measured. Both early and late bars from those company's are the same....

-
Back