Early A Seatbelts

-

Garry

Reaction score
Any one got a good source for " most like " original seat belt material. Mine are gold like the interior but frayed. All the back had was the straps to hook the seat down and no lap belt correct ?

Seat belt mounting 66 Barracuda.

Attachments

• 2012-11-17-3 cleaned seatbelts and mounted.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 273
Gary, what are you working on? It makes a difference on the early A's. tmm

I am restoring 1964 barracuda. All I see in the back seat area is the straps for the seat "hold down" They come up from behind and out of the aluminum kick trim at the bottom.

No seat belts in 1964 Mopars unless they were dealer installed I believe....think 65 it was an option and 1966 standard safety equipment :glasses7:

That's what I believe to be true as well. Thanks. All I really need is the material I have someone local that can sew them together.

No seat belts in 1964 Mopars unless they were dealer installed I believe....think 65 it was an option and 1966 standard safety equipment :glasses7:

Yes, but weren't shoulder belts optional?

Lap belts were standard, but I thought that shoulder belts were optional...

I don't think they were available until the late 60's.

Mine is a 64. were they not an option ? the back seat did not have them.

The 64 Dart Wagon we had when I was a kid had factory lap belts up front, and dealer installed belts in the back. The dealer installed belts were generic (not Mopar) - and worked on a friction basis (the 'latch' was a lever/rocker with a bunch of ribs that pinched on the ribbed belt material), rather than a real latch, as the fronts had.

Front belts were a factory option and rear were dealer installed. The front seat anchors were in place on all A-bodies that year. I worked at a Chrysler Plymouth dealership in 1964 and don't recall ever ordering seat belts unless it was a customer special order.

Shoulder belts didn't arrive until 1968. I had them on my new Fury 2-door hardtop, and they were a pain to use. They were anchored in the roof far behind the driver and when not in use you had to attach them to a dummy connector near the sun visor. I always used the lap belts, but seldom the shoulder belts, as they didn't fit very well.

-
Back