early A steering column

-

Slantsix64

Reaction score
Would a 63 dodge dart or 66 plymouth valiant steering column work for my 65 dodge dart?

Pretty sure a 64-66 would interchange, not sure about 63.

In every year, they came in variants. Simplest is a floor shift car, which would not have a shifter in the column. They also varied in length between manual and power steering.

Need more info as to what is in the 65 Dart now and what is in the 63 and 66 now.

in the 65 dart there im putting a 318 no power steering im replace the column because it was a three on the tree and the 63 and 66 i dont know what motor or if they have power steering yet there coming out at the junkyard.

in the 65 dart there im putting a 318 no power steering im replace the column because it was a three on the tree and the 63 and 66 i dont know what motor or if they have power steering yet there coming out at the junkyard.

I'm guessing you will be using a floor shift in the 65. If the 66 is a floor shift, it's a direct swap if it's manual steering. If it's PS, swap your 65s center steering shaft for the 66's PS shaft. Chances are the 63 is going to be a manual steering, and unless it's also a three on the tree, it should be a direct swap if the car had an automatic.

one caveat--- do not cut the wiring-- the harness connections might be different between 66 & 65-- you have the necessary parts to make a good column-- really what you need is a 62-64 push button column-- it will have no selector levers & such for your ride, Lawrence

The floor mounting plate may be different between 65 and 66! I have both columns and the 65 has a different setup down there! If you're looking to buy one, I'm looking to sell! The 65 column is a manual unit, black in color! Geof

-
Back