early A steering

-

fordilac

okiedart
Reaction score
does anyone know if there is a replacement part for the fluid dampner on the 64 dart column just above the gear box????

what fluid goes in the steering gear box???

If your talking about the coupler, they do have rebuild kits for those. It has grease in it and to my knowledge is not a fluid dampner. As far as the gear oil for the steering box, I'm sure someone will pop in that knows the correct answer.

Search early A steering coupling here. We went a round or two with this before. That earlier box coupling you have is a bit different from what is more commonly known by us later A owners. Good luck

That joint is just a coupler, not a dampner. It has grease in it as does the manual gear box. The service manual says you can put 90w gear oil in it but I've found that it usually leaks out if you do. Especially on the bushing versions. I would take the steering gear out of the car and take the top off the box and pack it with a good wheel bearing grease. You'll need a good service manual to do this as there are adjustments that have to be made or you can ruin the box.

You can make your own steering gear lube.....using a 140W gear oil mixed with a high Moly content grease.

Attachments

• IMGP3192.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 97
-
Back