Early A turn signal switch change????

-

Reaction score
How hard is it to change out the turn signal assembly on a 65 Dart? The latch, or canceling cam is bad on my Dart, but I have a parts Dart that the turn signal works great in. I was thinking about swapping them out as I have not been able to find a new one any were. Looks like Year one has the canceling cam, but not the switch. Is this very hard to change? Or dose any one know a source for a new one?? Thanks!!

It's not difficult but does take some time. If you just need the cancel cam, I have new ones in stock for $12 plus the ride. If you need a whole switch, I've seen some on E-bay but they were a bit pricey. I you decide to swap yours, you'll need to remove the plastic connector at the base of the column so the wires will pass through the hole in the column jacket. Tie and/or tape a spare wire or nylon string to the old switch harness and pull the works up and out pulling the string along with the wires. Attach the new switch wiring to the string and pull it back through the same way. Then reattach the connector. I like to draw a diagram of the color codes so you get the wires back in the correct holes. Use a tiny screw driver to trigger the metal barbs on the wire ends so they release from the connector. Rebend them as needed to get them to hold tight when you reinstall them. Everything else is pretty straight forward after you get the wheel off.

It's not difficult but does take some time. If you just need the cancel cam, I have new ones in stock for $12 plus the ride. If you need a whole switch, I've seen some on E-bay but they were a bit pricey. I you decide to swap yours, you'll need to remove the plastic connector at the base of the column so the wires will pass through the hole in the column jacket. Tie and/or tape a spare wire or nylon string to the old switch harness and pull the works up and out pulling the string along with the wires. Attach the new switch wiring to the string and pull it back through the same way. Then reattach the connector. I like to draw a diagram of the color codes so you get the wires back in the correct holes. Use a tiny screw driver to trigger the metal barbs on the wire ends so they release from the connector. Rebend them as needed to get them to hold tight when you reinstall them. Everything else is pretty straight forward after you get the wheel off.

Thanks I will have to get one from you! Off to the Mopar nats in Columbus, OH tomorrow. Will get in touch one one when I get back. Thanks again!

Is the canceling cam what holds the signal on, or dose it just release it?? Mine will not stay latched on. You have to hold it on. Thanks!!

You can pick up a cancel cam most any where, yes that is what will "hold" the turn signal in the direction of the turn until the wheel is turned. If you change the whole switch out make sure you use only 63-65, they have no emergency flashers, some 66's don't and some do.

You can pick up a cancel cam most any where, yes that is what will "hold" the turn signal in the direction of the turn until the wheel is turned. If you change the whole switch out make sure you use only 63-65, they have no emergency flashers, some 66's don't and some do.

Thanks!!

That's not true about the year interchange. '63-6 are all the same. You can even use the '67-9 with minor modifications. They just added the "lane change" feature to those years. 1970 is when they moved the ignition and emergency flasher switch to the column and made the column a larger diameter

That's not true about the year interchange. '63-6 are all the same. You can even use the '67-9 with minor modifications. They just added the "lane change" feature to those years. 1970 is when they moved the ignition and emergency flasher switch to the column and made the column a larger diameter

Can you tell me what "mods" have to be done to use the newer ones? They look to be much cheaper than the early ones.

I think slantsixdan still has some new US made repro switches. I bought two of them and they look just like the original Mopar versions.

If you want a turn signal cam that will last contact:

[email protected]
David Koldos
626 Grand Ave
Elgin, Illinois 60120-4223

Phone: 847-888-2652

He has been selling reproduction turn signal cancel cams for several years with great results. They fit all MOPAR products 62-66. They are $19 ea. including shipping, installation instructions and lifetime guarantee. Send a check or mo to above address and one will be on it's way.

The material is far superior than any of the current off the shelf items. I've got them in my cars and believe they are worth the price!

Can you tell me what "mods" have to be done to use the newer ones? They look to be much cheaper than the early ones.
I'm trying to remember.....seems like it was just a small spot on the plastic base that needed to be trimmed for added clearence. I don't remember it being a big deal.

If you are looking to switch out the entire assembly, its pretty straight forward as Cudamark explained. The units slantsixdan has sold are top notch - if he has them. I found myself in a bind, and needed one asap. I found a set-up through Mega Parts for $55.00 (+ ship = $60.95). I had to splice in the old connecting tips that slide into the wiring harness, but otherwise, I have had no issues. WAAAYYY cheaper than what you'll find on ebay & elsewhere. Good luck!

-
Back