Early A V8 Without 90 Degree OFA

-

GreyWizard

Reaction score
Anyone running without oil filter adapter on an early A V8 (stock exhaust manifold)?

TIA

I am. My car is a 66 Barracuda 273 with stock exhaust and oil filter in the stock place. The prior owner had cranked down the oil filter and it was a pain to replace. There isn’t much room to work where it’s at.

I am. My car is a 66 Barracuda 273 with stock exhaust and oil filter in the stock place. The prior owner had cranked down the oil filter and it was a pain to replace. There isn’t much room to work where it’s at.

Are you suggesting you would be better off using an adapter? Are you using a full size or shorty filter?

I’m using a full size filter. The filter really hugs the motor and sits horizonal above the torsion bar. There is very little room to work if it’s got issues.
I would love to have it remotely mounted someplace user friendly.

I’m using a full size filter. The filter really hugs the motor and sits horizonal above the torsion bar. There is very little room to work if it’s got issues.
I would love to have it remotely mounted someplace user friendly.

I am confused (not unusual) by your statement “The filter really hugs the motor”. If you are not using the 90 degree adapter would not the filter be sticking straight out from the block?

I think I am confusing you because I’m confused lol. I am using the adapter after all I guess. I can take a look to see if it would fit sticking straight out of the side tomorrow if you like. I might be able to measure it

I think I am confusing you because I’m confused lol. I am using the adapter after all I guess. I can take a look to see if it would fit sticking straight out of the side tomorrow if you like. I might be able to measure it

Thank you. That would be awesome.

For years now I have been using oil filters from the 2.4 Turbo PT Cruiser engines.Mopar # MO-452 or a performance such as the K&N # HP-2009 . They fit the small blocks and big blocks. A thinner profile and the same length as the short PF 16 (Just a number for example) Mancini has the block plate kit to replace the angle adapter if you are looking for one. Most of us are anal when it comes to changing oil,doing it more often than most so don't let the smaller size of the filter throw you. Just a thought.

For years now I have been using oil filters from the 2.4 Turbo PT Cruiser engines.Mopar # MO-452 or a performance such as the K&N # HP-2009 . They fit the small blocks and big blocks. A thinner profile and the same length as the short PF 16 (Just a number for example) Mancini has the block plate kit to replace the angle adapter if you are looking for one. Most of us are anal when it comes to changing oil,doing it more often than most so don't let the smaller size of the filter throw you. Just a thought.

Thank you! Good information.

David

Mancini has the block plate kit to replace the angle adapter if you are looking for one.

I checked with Mancini and they no longer sell the block plate kit. I am working with a FABO member who may be a source.

Anyone know of another source if that does not work out?

8244C2A7-36D2-4AA2-A65F-C249F8356FDA.jpeg
Why would you not want to use the adapter?
Not questioning your decision, just curious.

Fair question. I realized the adapter I intended to transfer to the new 318 had a defect (see pic). I considered the possibility it was one of the many leaks in the original engine.

I have purchased another 90 degree adapter from one fabo member and pursuing a block plate from another. Will ultimately use whatever solution works best.

Thank you for asking.

David

I never tried but they may be available from Chrysler. IF you can get a partsman to look it up. Sad that Mancini dropped them. I should have bought more when they had 'um.

I just used a Chevy SB oil cooler/remote filter adapter straight onto my Mopar oil plate, Darn thing screws right on like it was made for it and the O-ring sits right on the raised rib of the plate. You just dont use the cooler piece.

I just used a Chevy SB oil cooler/remote filter adapter straight onto my Mopar oil plate, Darn thing screws right on like it was made for it and the O-ring sits right on the raised rib of the plate. You just dont use the cooler piece.

You sure it was Chev, or Ford? I thought the gaskets were different spots?

You sure it was Chev, or Ford? I thought the gaskets were different spots?
My mistake, I bought it with a SBC oil cooler that necks down to this remote adapter, and the adapter was the thing that mated with the SBM oil plate. The SBC adapter says "do not use SBC oil filter, use FRAM PH-25". Confused myself as I had to look back a the Ebay link for a pic. Its the somewhat generic spin on 2 port fitting that threads onto a stock MP nipple and has an O-ring.
00-9229-0-1.jpg

This was the SBC oil cooler that it was bought with. see how it reduces the OD of the adapter? It looks like the oil cooler portion could be used with a Mopar if you used the longer brown nipple extension.
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back