early a vs. 67-up exhaust manifolds

-

Rocky65

Reaction score
Will the '67-up a body small block (318) exhaust manifolds work in a '63-'66? They look about the same to me...

There isn't a noticable difference in the right side manifolds. The earlier left side manifold had a extra crook in the dump end. The 67 up fits just as well without that crook and flows a little better.

Perfect, thanks for the help RedFish that is just what I needed to know. I want to use the 67 manifolds in my '66. I have a set of Spitfires but I'm saving 'em for the wagon!

There isn't a noticable difference in the right side manifolds. The earlier left side manifold had a extra crook in the dump end. The 67 up fits just as well without that crook and flows a little better.

Have you done it? if so, did you have power or manual steering?

It's been a long time since I had a manual steering car with stock manifolds so I can't say for sure about that, but I know it won't work if you have power steering, that extra crook in the manifold is to clear the steering shaft, the 64-66 manifold also rises up to clear the steering box.

Have you done it? if so, did you have power or manual steering?

It's been a long time since I had a manual steering car with stock manifolds so I can't say for sure about that, but I know it won't work if you have power steering, that extra crook in the manifold is to clear the steering shaft, the 64-66 manifold also rises up to clear the steering box.

He is exactly right I tried myself and the left 67 up manifold will not clear a power steering gear.

Both the '66 and the wagon have a manual steering box, so the '67 manifold should work ok right? I am driving this beast every day so it can only be down for the weekend, the last thing I want to do is get everything swapped in and not be able to get the exhaust done! BTW thanks for the help!

Other than the power steering issue I wasn't aware of, since the 67 manifold dumps in a different location your Y pipe would be a little different also. You would still need a trip to the muffler shop. We dropped a later model 318 in a 64 Barracuda. I guess it was a manual steering car. I went 2 block down for dual exhaust too. Thats my experience and memory of late 70s. Sorry for any confusion.

Both the '66 and the wagon have a manual steering box, so the '67 manifold should work ok right? I am driving this beast every day so it can only be down for the weekend, the last thing I want to do is get everything swapped in and not be able to get the exhaust done! BTW thanks for the help!

i have an extra set of 65 273 exhaust manifolds. let me know if your interested

I didn't think the power/non power steering matters.. Since the 67-up engine bay is wider, moving the column away for the motor that manifold isn't as tight to the engine. I would compare the manifolds to the spitfires in width..
From all I read the driver side won't fit!

Bob
64 Dart 360/auto I have a set of 64 273 manifolds also if someone is looking for a set..

OK thanks to all of you, looks like I better do a little homework to be sure. I will check it against the spitfire header, that should give me a good idea of how close it will be. Thanks for the offer Discharger, pm sent.

-
Back