Early Master Cylinder Disk Brakes

-

64_Barracuda

Virginia Beach VA
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a spare Formula S Disk Brake master cylinder and proportioning valve? Looking to make my disk brake conversion authentic.

Also if you have a Kelsey-Hayes set up and don't have this master, how are your brakes? Curious about the extended reservoir if its really needed or not.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-13 at 9.17.21 PM.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 166
  • Screen Shot 2015-07-13 at 9.18.02 PM.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 158
The extended reservoir does not make the brakes better, just allows for pad wear and filling up the calipers with fluid. I know Lee (Lil Cuda) had one. Not sure what he did with it after doing the dual master swap.

Almost any dual M/C, that bolts on, can be made to work with the KH calipers.Some just work better.The drum/drum M/Cs need to have the residual valve pulled out of the discharge line to the calipers. I personally like the 15/16 or 7/8 ones, with a single diaphragm booster.And I prefer the ones with the large reservoir, cuz theres 8 pistons out there.And I prefer the Braided Lines.

Jim, so you don't have any issues with your car and not having the adapter? I know what it does and why its there. Just looking for feedback.

I think you misunderstood (probably because I left out some details). Lee's old car was mine a long time ago and was a factory disc car with the extension. Lee replaced the original master with a dual master a few years back. That was also the last early A-body I have owned (sold in 1985).

-
Back