Early shackle strap length

-

Iron Oxide

Reaction score
I'm trying to build a new transmission crossmember and in order to set it up, I need to fix my pinion angle. The previous owner installed some leaf spring shackles measuring 7" between hole centers.

I ordered new shackles but they probably won't be here for a week. Can anyone tell me what the measurement is either between the shackle strap holes, or between centers of the holes?

Thanks,
Austin

I'm guessing 4ish,maybe a tad more
But their fore-aft positioning depends on the length and arch of the installed springs.

Oh wait, sorry above is for 67 ups, I missed the Early-A reference.There hasn't been one in my driveway since about 1975

Last edited:
I'm guessing 4ish,maybe a tad more
But their fore-aft positioning depends on the length and arch of the installed springs.

Oh wait, sorry above is for 67 ups, I missed the Early-A reference.There hasn't been one in my driveway since about 1975

Likely ur rear springs are ruined if on the car very long.

Likely ur rear springs are ruined if on the car very long.

Good to know, it looks like they've been on there for quite some time. I honestly don't know what the last owner was trying to accomplish. They had a set of spring helper shocks mounted as well as the extended shackles. The leaf springs had to be compressed in order to mount the shocks, which were at full extension. The rear suspension couldn't compress or extend at all.

They were attempting to raise the rear of the car. The problem with the long rear shackles is that they really do little to nothing to raise the rear of a Mopar due to the asymetrical leaf springs. They do put undue stress on the weak end of the spring, though. I don't recall any difference between the early and late stock shackles, though.

They were attempting to raise the rear of the car. The problem with the long rear shackles is that they really do little to nothing to raise the rear of a Mopar due to the asymetrical leaf springs. They do put undue stress on the weak end of the spring, though. I don't recall any difference between the early and late stock shackles, though.

The car did have a rake, the long shackles were pointed straight down. The leaf springs were actually compressed in order to mount the coil spring shocks though, because the shocks weren't long enough. At any rate, looks like I'm on the hunt for leaf springs.

Edit: Can these springs be re-arched or are they toast?

The car did have a rake, the long shackles were pointed straight down. The leaf springs were actually compressed in order to mount the coil spring shocks though, because the shocks weren't long enough. At any rate, looks like I'm on the hunt for leaf springs.

A spring company can re arch them .. I have never seen long shackles on a car that didn't end up killing the back of the springs .

I measured my 64 cuda yesterday 3.75 center to center.
Thank you!

I took the springs to a local shop and they're hesitant to do anything to them until after the new shackles arrive and we see how it sits.

A spring company can re arch them .. I have never seen long shackles on a car that didn't end up killing the back of the springs .

It really hurts if you catch the long shackle on the ground backing out of a low yard...DAMHIK...

They can be rearched. With or without heat. They last longer heated, but they don't last anywhere near as long as new springs and the cost to rearch will be more than new springs.

-
Back