Easiest Rear End Swap

Which one would you coose?

• Total voters
-

73Swinger18

✱ⓈⓌⒾⓃⒼⒺⓇ
Reaction score
I'm going to be swapping my 7.25 rear end out for an 8.25. I was wondering which way you suggest I go about it. Should I....

A) Leave the springs attached and remove/replace the rear out the side.

B) Detach the rear of the leaf springs and roll it out the back with the wheels still on (not sure if this is possible)

C) Detach the rear of the leaf springs and use a jack to roll it out with the wheels removed.

B since you are reusing the leaf springs.

D........Get a two post........

dodgehoist-jpg.jpg

If your springs are new, and your front bolts arent seized with 40 years of rust, I would take the springs out with the rear end, mount them to the new rear (loosely for adjustments) and then roll the whole works back under the car and reconnect it, front then rear. Thats how I did it - used a moving dolly.

DSC00438.JPG
C, your wheels wont clear unless your hanging your rear bumper from a joist. Use a floor jack under the pumpkin and itll balance all the way in if you are on cement; gravel or pavement? your in for some wrestling. Then you just lift up on the springs and hang them with same floor jack one at a time.

Last edited:
I've done both A and C. I prefer A if you have a friend or two there and you don't mind a little lifting. If you're by yourself it's C.

D- quit posting about it, get out in the garage and get it done.

Indeed. I cannot believe this is even a post here. What is it? About 20 bolts and it's on the ground?

Indeed. I cannot believe this is even a post here. What is it? About 20 bolts and it's on the ground?
Here we go again. What is it with you? The grumpy know it all who doesn't add anything substantial to posts. Do me a favor and go outside today and enjoy life a bit. You can't go around being angry all the time. It's not healthy.

Here we go again. What is it with you? The grumpy know it all who doesn't add anything substantial to posts. Do me a favor and go outside today and enjoy life a bit. You can't go around being angry all the time. It's not healthy.

No anger here. I know how to work on my cars.

So you imply that I don't know how to. I ask this question to get people's experience in what worked well for them, not for some expert who works at O'Reilly to be a smart ***.

No, I'm SAYING you don't have enough sense to look under the car and figure it out for yourself. I'm not implying a damn thing.

It's a VERY easy job.

No, I'm SAYING you don't have enough sense to look under the car and figure it out for yourself. I'm not implying a damn thing.

It's a VERY easy job.
I had enough sense to look under my car and think, there is more than one way to do this. Let's ask the guys on FABO what worked best for them. You need to learn humility and figure out that you don't have the answers to everything. I've had much success in life by asking a lot of questions. I know that there are people who know more than me and I respect that. You on the other hand can't comprehend it.

I had enough sense to look under my car and think, there is more than one way to do this. Let's ask the guys on FABO what worked best for them. You need to learn humility and figure out that you don't have the answers to everything. I've had much success in life by asking a lot of questions. I know that there are people who know more than me and I respect that. You on the other hand can't comprehend it.

What I am trying to tell you is, get under there and do it yourself. Everyone is different. Do it how you are comfortable with. It's like asking what tools to use. 100 different people will use 100 different tools and do a job 100 different ways. By the time you get a solid answer on an internet forum, you could have done the job. More than once.

-
Back