Easiest way to adjust/aim headlights

-

MrJLR

Built, not bought
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Now that my headlights are nice and bright, how do I aim them?
They're pointing all over the place.....I know where the adjusting screws are and how they work - I need to know the procedure to aim them.....

Thanks

Jeff

I find a flat area with a wall. Pull the car up to the wall and mark an X in the center of the pattern. Back the car up 25 feet and set the center of the pattern 2 inches down and 2 inches to the right of the first X's .

I find a flat area with a wall. Pull the car up to the wall and mark an X in the center of the pattern. Back the car up 25 feet and set the center of the pattern 2 inches down and 2 inches to the right of the first X's .

This or similar is outlined in the service manual, as well

Yes (and I'm not just saying that because I wrote it).

I parked my car in the street at night and adjusted them to what I thought was good.

No good. There is only one correct aim setting for any given headlamp at any given height above the road. Headlamp aim is the № 1 factor in how safely you can see at night—even more important than whether your headlamps are sealed beams or HIDs or LEDs or whatever else.

Yes (and I'm not just saying that because I wrote it).

No good. There is only one correct aim setting for any given headlamp at any given height above the road. Headlamp aim is the № 1 factor in how safely you can see at night—even more important than whether your headlamps are sealed beams or HIDs or LEDs or whatever else.

In the town I live in we're lucky if someone's headlights are both down on the road instead of one up on the stoplight and the other right in your face. :D

There is always a "correct" procedure for doing everything, but sometimes other ways of doing it works out just fine. I have my headlights adjusted so they shine a ways down the road but not into the oncoming lane and blinding the other driver.

While I agree with Dan, there is a "proper" procedure but I usually fight the mainstream, lol.

I take a piece of cardboard and cover the left headlight (or you can unplug it if that suits your fancy, probably better actually so you don't have the glare).

I adjust the right so it points down the road and along the fog line (I mark that spot with a cone). I shoot for around 75-100 feet.

Then I cover the right and adjust the left so it falls just to the left of the cone, this is all with the lights on low beam.

It has served me well for 40 years.

-
Back