EASY DISC BRAKE CONVERSION FOR 5X 4"

-

BOSS VEGA V8

Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I JUST ORDERED THESE BRACKETS YESTERDAY FOR MY SWINGER http://www.scarebird.com/ THEY USE YOUR EXISTING a body drum brake spindles but you remove the drum from the hub, reuse the hub use the custom brackets and get some S10 4wd rotors( there the hat rotor style)re drill them with the template supplied,use S10 2wd calipers and pads, and caprice brake hoses.simple and cheap! parts only cost 90.00 for the calipers, pads,and rotors.

BOSS VEGA V8 said:
I JUST ORDERED THESE BRACKETS YESTERDAY FOR MY SWINGER http://www.scarebird.com/ THEY USE YOUR EXISTING a body drum brake spindles but you remove the drum from the hub, reuse the hub use the custom brackets and get some S10 4wd rotors( there the hat rotor style)re drill them with the template supplied,use S10 2wd calipers and pads, and caprice brake hoses.simple and cheap! parts only cost 90.00 for the calipers, pads,and rotors.

Pre-73 or post-73 spindles?

pre 73 a body drum brake spindles. they also sell a big bolt pattern set up that uses 62-72 b car drum brake spindles.....that set up uses a 10 3/4 rotor for a chrysler 300m or concord....and caprice calipers....i have the instruction manual with pics i can email to anyone who is interestew.....

BOSS VEGA V8 said:
pre 73 a body drum brake spindles. they also sell a big bolt pattern set up that uses 62-72 b car drum brake spindles.....that set up uses a 10 3/4 rotor for a chrysler 300m or concord....and caprice calipers....i have the instruction manual with pics i can email to anyone who is interestew.....

I'm interested. Can you e-mail it to me? [email protected].

you cant beat paying 21.00 for a new gm brake rotor when a new a body one goes for 190.00 each......if i was changing to big bolt pattern i would use the late b body 12 inch set up my friend has....but for now im keeping the small bolt pattern...much better than the 4 piston stock stuff (if you can find it) and its actualy a lighter set up than stock due to the fact it uses a floating rotor..............hey, my vega has s10 spindles and axle shafts in it.................im not to partial anymore....if it works and is economical, it works for me :D

$190 for new a body rotors :shock:
Where do you buy your parts? I paid like $75 for mine(4inch pattern) from the local parts store.
As for using late b body 12inch rotors why not just use the caliper bracket from a Cordoba and use the 11.75 inch rotor,tons of those in junkyards.

NO GM part of any kind will ever touch any of my Mopars!

thats what i meant, the 12in (or correctly measured) 11 3/4 cordoba (b body) set up .....right now my car has the 10in drums......this is a more economical conversion. as for mopars in the junk yard...none around here in the northeast! there is nothing in the yards around here except for 1990 and newer cars......they scrap everything around here...........also the gm calipers are 13.00 each......YOU KNOW the 4 piston calipers are not even close in price (100.00 a piece reman) :D

I would love to have that Information also [email protected]. I would like to covert the Cuda to disc but keep the small bolt pattern, I know the Swinger needs a complete brake rebuild and from what I gather the 4 piston calipers are hard to get parts for and very expensive. Is that the stock set up on a 70 Swinger? I have not begun to investigate this yet.
Thanks

the only thing i don't like about the kit is it still uses that small upper ball joint... i prefer the larger joint you get with going with the 73-up set up.. but that is a cool kit...

I may be alone here,but i'm sorry i can't agree with using GM parts on mopars.
They may be cheaper but like the old saying goes "you get what you pay for!"
I would rather spend the extra money and do it the right way rather than using cheap GM parts.

My 2cents

I am all for doing it right. I will agree. But what differance does it make what parts you use, as long as they work and are effective? You can do it right with SSBC, and pay about a grand for their kit, who knows what or where the original application of the parts came from... If it works, uses quality parts, I am all for it.

NewABodyFan said:
I am all for doing it right. I will agree. But what differance does it make what parts you use, as long as they work and are effective?

Count me in too. Hot rodding is all about finding the piece that works better on your car. Danas are not exclusive to Mopars, neither are Holley's. Ford used the same calipers as the early A body on the Mustang.
Too many people spend sick money making their cars fast. Very few think about makin `em stop. I have a buddy with a totally insane low 12 sec. Dart street machine with the stock 9" drums. .....ON ALL FOUR WHEELS!!!! Wanna talk about being scared the first time I drove it?
If the average Joe can bolt on a quality set of binders for little coin, I say it's a great idea. It's better than trying to find "correct" factory pieces that come with the premium price.

Please send me a set of the instructions too ! Thanx... :thumrigh:

Count me in for a set of instructions. I went to their web site and sent them a email about three applications. A body front brakes with small bolt pattern, B body (1965) front brakes, and 8.75 rear breaks. I will let everyone know what the relpy is.

[email protected]

Got the info!! :twisted: Thanks!!
And since these parts are remanufactured...tehy aren't really GM parts!! :shock: :D :geek: Thebig brake conversion and the B body stuff looks good, too!

Dave

Hey, I think the kit sounds interesting too. Can you forward the instructions to me also?

I am all for using such a kit if it improves the stopping ability for a decent price. Aftermarket parts are aftermarket parts regardless of what brand they were originally designed for. Like John said, that is the spirit of Hot Rodding.

Can someone just post the info here so everone can see it? Or send it to me and I'll make a pdf and post it.

WAAAAAAY Cool AVATAR Gregg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumleft:

Looks like a good kit. If you were to buy a brake kit from Willwood, SSBC or Master Power most of those parts arent Mopar parts either. Mastr power uses GM masters.

-
Back