easy spark plug cleaning Q

-

Rapid Robert

Reaction score
Saw a utube vid saying that you should not bead blast plugs to clean em as you cant get all of the particles out. I dont see any real crevice in there so wouldn't air & maybe a shot of brake kleen be more than adequate? I do have one of those mini plug blasters that uses shop air with some small beads of some kind in it. thank you for your time. RR

ROCKAUTO, Summit Racing Autolites cheap. Just stock up. Not worth the trouble

Depends on what you blast with. We had an old A/C Delco plug cleaner in high school auto shop that used walnut shells to blast with. It did a good job and left nothing behind, but we always blew them off with compressed air anyway.

Back in the day I cleaned hundreds of spark plugs with a sandblaster. As long as you blow them out good its not an issue. You could use an alternate media like walnut shells or plastic media.
The old school spark plug cleaning machines were nothing more than a mini sandblaster.

I had one that plugged in to the car cigar lighter, it was small and worked pretty good.

Sorry i did not read you allready had it.
In that case use walnut media. I had one years ago, but was afraid of glass beads and fine sand i might not get all out, even after lots of air. So never used it with sand-glass. It worked well. I gave it away. If i can not do a fast easy clean with solvent like brake clean and a brush i just toss new ones in.
If ya have it already just shy away from glass-sand.

^^^ yes in the vid they recommended map gas. I will get some different media. agreed on new plugs but I wanted to do some tuning with the old ones & save the new ones for race day

Easy things shouldn't be so hard. I sold this style for years.

1695477783241.png

-
Back