Easy TTI step headrs fitment in early A (really !)

-

'63GT

Reaction score
Ok, so I finally got around to swapping out the Dougs (too small for my combo) for the TTI step headers. I'm running a 904, so no crazy Z bar. (I don't know why more of you don't run a hyd clutch..)
Anywho..
Of coarse I pulled both torsion bars.. right side was uneventful, dropped the drag-link and pitman are together and removed the 90° oil filter adapter. Boom !

Left side, not so much.. starter out, unbolted the Doug's along with the slip joints. like cake. I then removed the steering column.
But the TTI's being one piece was a challenge. Now I don't have a lift, and most of you don't either..
I don't like beating my head against the wall, or my new headers, so this is what I did.
1. cut the flange between #1 and #3
20190329_100409.jpg

...and of coarse cut the #1 tube near the collector: (blurry 1/4" between #1 & #3)
20190329_102105.jpg

Add 2 1/2" piece of 1 78" tube. (grind out the seam)
20190329_102624.jpg
1 7/8 coped for clearance.
1 7/8 is tapped on and welded (it does not leak ! )
20190329_105240.jpg

Slip back apart, and slip the header into position from the bottom and let the header w/ back 3 tubes rest on the ground and slip the #1 into position, lift up the rest of the way from the top. It literally is that easy. Shame on TTI for not doing us all this favor. Maybe they will now....

I hope you coated the slip fit with something so that it will not rust together, or you'll have to cut it again if you ever have to remove it. I've used high temp RTV and anti seize in the past which worked well.

Nice job, btw.

I hope you coated the slip fit with something so that it will not rust together, or you'll have to cut it again if you ever have to remove it. I've used high temp RTV and anti seize in the past which worked well.

Nice job, btw.
I used to use the red hi temp on the hemi too , it mostly burned out, but would come apart. Don't ever clamp it , u`ll be sorry !

Nice job, btw.

Yes, I failed to mention that... HiTemp Permatex in the slip joint. don't slip without it :)

Hookers recommend Ultra-copper RTV in their joints. Didnt have one leak either. Thats a great tip.

-
Back