Ebay forced induction products...

-

Scampin

Reaction score
Anybody know where there is a guide to picking out the "best" of the ebay products? I have that 64' barracuda 273 4spd, I have the 273 in it, and I have a ready to run 318. Want to build up a cheap, no frills, embarassed to open the hood, turbo kit. Been figuring out where to lay the pipes, looks like there is a ton of room really. Plan on using the stock manifold on p/s and finding another manifold, or making a log manifold out of an old header for the d/s. Want to boost reference a mechanical pump, do my own mods on a 750 or the 600 holley I have. Use the tm-5 intake i have, make my own carb hat, I have a msd-btm. CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP.

Ideas, suggestions? Can I get away with not intercooling it? Not looking for ground breaking performance, looking to run 14's on poly's, still using the sidepipes on the car.

Yes you can get away with no intercooler however it can limit how much boost you can run assuming your talking about no cooling of any kind (alky injection, air to water etc..)
I've heard some people say 5 to 6 psi is the limit without some sort or cooling addition and some say you can run higher around 8 to 10psi and be fine. You could get into 14s with a 318 without alot of effort in an early A. How much of this kit do you plan on piecing together from ebay? Becareful of buying the cheap chinese imitation junk. I've heard bad things bout some of the bovs and the turbos have a reputation for puking as well. I think your the only person I've heard say that an early A has a "ton of room" under the hood. My 66 doesnt have much room and its a slant 6.

Yeah, from what I have read you should only buy certain things from certain people on ebay, unfortunately, it seems that info. is spread across the internet in no form. Doing the research that I have done if I stick to the plan and don't get distracted by the easy way out, or the better looking way, I think I can get this done at around 600beans.

The room thing was meant for really the K-frame design. It looks like I can snake the down-pipe in the opening of the k-frame. Which would be awesome instead of making it run over the inner fender to the backside of the engine.

You might see if you can find some old factory turbo cars to see what they were running for boost numbers. I don't think intercoolers were terribly common in the earlier days, so it might be a decent reference. Off the top of my head I think most factory boosted cars were in the lower 4-8 range. Newer ones are pushing closer to 10-12 I believe, but I think most have intercoolers now.

IN addition to my 340 Duster I own a Mitsubish 3000GT which I supercharged about 2 years ago. I run just under 8psi of boost without an intercooler, however I spray (Water Alcohol Injection) when boost exceeds 2.5 pounds. Setup works very well and if you keep the compression ratio around 8 to 8.5 you should be able to use 87 octane. The WAI can effective raise the octane level to well over 110 with a 50/50 mix of water and methanol or alcohol. WAI has the added benefit to keeping the combustion chambers clean and helps cool the motor. Old school but still very viable and renewing interest.

I was going to suggest lookin in the junkyards for factory turbo cars. For your 318 the tb348 turbo from a GN or T type buick or TTA transam. Also some Rivieras from the 80s had the same turbo engine. Twin tb348s should make your job of 14s a piece of cake as just 1 could get the buicks into the 12s so there's room to go much faster if you ever wanted to turn the wick up. These turbos are common in the turbo buick forums. I got mine for 150 bucks and its complete and in good shape. Even came with an adjustable wastegate. My setup has cost me between 400 and 600 and which I think I could have done cheaper. The 87 buick wastegate starts to open around 9 lbs which should be plenty of poop to get you into the 14s. With the adjustable wastegate you can loosen it and it will open sooner or tighten it and run more boost, its a great little piece. If you go with the whole idea of adding up liters of the engine the turbo came off then 2 tb348s should feed a 7.6l engine. I don't subscribe to this idea personally but for a 318, two 2.5l chrysler turbos would be almost perfect since that's 5.0l and a 318 is a 5.2. However I feel like on a mild 318 or even a stock 318 these may be too small. The 273 may be better for those. 85 2.2 and 2.5 turbos had a 9psi setting on the wastegate just like the buick according to the factory brochure I used to have. I agree with INS about using alky injection.

Well finally getting around to ordering parts. Was almost talked into the famed gt45 turbo, But I am afraid of spool up time with the 273 and a 4spd. I do want to buy a turbo that will give me some room to grow. Well today I think I stumbled on a much better fitted turbo for what I am doing.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GODPSEED-TY...Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e6d7caaa6&vxp=mtr
What do you guys think?
I picked up a 650 holley last week, and already started the hotside plumbing. Decided I will be doing the alky injection. Will take some pics as it progresses.

Many different sizes of the gt45,1.06ar 77ish on the turbine is what i have.
Still in the building mode so i don't know the outcome at this point.

That seems pretty big for the exhaust side, don't know what you are putting that on. I am looking for full boost by 4000-4500rpm.

I am using the 1.10 on a lowdeck at 411 cid. Should be well into boost by 28-3000 rpm. I didn't see what type of heads you are using or the size of the cam.

I think with the 273 a .96 a/r will be pretty close.... Your best bet is to contact a vendor and give them your complete combo and they can advise on the "Correct" size turbo for your application. Anything else is a shot in the dark!

I see Furd 302's with the Masterpower 70mm turbo with the .96 a/r housing screaming! Anything over the .96 your little 273 won't be able to feed it due to the Volumetric Efficiency.

Good man, let us know. I got the Turbo bug myself...thinking of a 273 turbo for the 'ol 's" next...Oh yeah, the blow off valves leak at the adjuster, most all of them off Ebay. They get away with it as they are not "made" for blow through. Put an O-ring in there at the threads or adjust it and cap it with a dab of silicon. I think up to 9 is good with no intercooler, just not 100,000 mile warranty good.....

Just recieved my godspeed 50mm wastegate in the mail for my budget 273 turbo build and something doesn't look right to me. This may be a dumb question, but should the valve for the wastegate be a 1/4" diameter smaller than the opening of the wastegate? It should be sealed tightly so no exhaust gasses escape except when the wastegate opens correct?

Thanks guys.

Here's a pic of what I am talking about.

P1010402.jpg

I have an email into them to see what they are going to do about it.

I'm thinking there should be a pressed in sealing ring or something? Don't know. The b.o.v. and turbo look pretty good. Got the manifolds, piping, flanges, carb, etc. Need some time to get this thing going.

Where is the flange that goes to that side of the gate?? Mine had flange that got welded to the exhaust and it uses a V Band Clamp to attach the Gate to that flange.

Post a picture of everything that came with the gate.

This one is the same way, but the flange in no way seals against the valve.

I have the same one Mad Dart has. It seals to the flange once its all bolted together. Yours looks like it should seal in the same manner!

Well according to the company I bought it from, in the package it should have had 3 flanges, 2 for the v-bands, and 1 that has an interference fit in the wastegate to seal the valve. I got all the other components I should have had, except the one flange that acts as a seal. Of course, they have not said if they are going to send me one, so I will patient alittle longer. I have tons of stuff to do before I need to worry about the sealing of the wastegate. lol.

I did alittle mock up last night of the manifolds and turbo. Gonna be a tight fit for sure. Maybe a little notching of the frame rail is the only thing so far I can see that I am need to cut.

I went through the same thing with the wastegate when i helped my friend turbo his truck. we were sitting there for a minute scratching our heads, my friend was about ready to put it on like that. I went and dug deep in the box and found it like wedged under the foam they put in the box. It would not have built boost very quickly without it!

So yes there is a little round thing that goes in there. check the box really good if you haven't done so already.

-
Back