ebay item number 180176238888

-

RedFish

Reaction score
Seller just billed me 35.00 total or 20 for shipping.
I sincerly hope it's not one of you.
ebay item number 180176238888
:angry7::protest::disgust::angry4::angry4::angry4:

Some people jack up the shipping charges when the item doesn't sell for as much as they had hoped. Which sucks if you live in Canada because then it is even more!:wack:

Ouch! Shipping should be no more than about $5.00 USPS. Can you say gouge?

Ouch! Shipping should be no more than about $5.00 USPS. Can you say gouge?

I've not paid over 25 total for a "core part" fuel gauge and dont intend to.
Have 5 in stock so he can keep his.

Had some guy charge me $28.00 for S & H on a factory service manual. When I got it, the postage was only $14.86. Guess what is gonna happen 2 minutes before the expiry date!! :evil5::thefinge:

did you tell the seller it was a ridiculous shipping fee? if he or she wont ship for the actual cost of postage report him to ebay under fraud. i never hesitate to do that and i'll bet he is one of those who takes your money and then waits to see what kind of feedback he gets before doing so for you even though you held up to your end and paid! don't mean to get on a soap box but these kind of people just burn me up.

I think before I paid I would ask him if that was right or did he mean $20 total. I've shipped little stuff like that for $3-4. $20 for shipping is crazy!!

I got burned on shipping once when it wasn't listed so now I ask like 69383gts said he does.

I usually don't buy anything unless it has the shipping cost right on the auction. When I sell something I also anyways have the shipping figured in. I try to figure a fair price, sometimes I get burnt and other times I've made out a little but the buyer is always aware of the shipping up front.

I would say $20 was a little crazy too....Man ,I shipped a 6/pk ( carbs & intake ).... from Pa. to Texas for $38 awhile back though UPS.

Shipping charges are way out of hand!!! Even at the post office.
UPS to Ohio from me for a two 1/2 pound box $13.00..
Everything is going up...
I would not buy any thing with out the cost to ship before I bid.:toothy1:

Sounds like there time to get it in the mail is where they over charged.
Some people think they never are paid enough.

He wi'll screw up my 100 pecent positive feedback again (hes not the first). <Jackiekoveslucy> is my thrid ebay client so far. Aint been screwed yet. I consider this attempted rape. Already told him where he can stick the part.

Thats the ebay way of making money. Its very comman. All ways get a shipping price before bidding. I just had a guitar shipped, Boxed by UPS and shipped from AZ to CT. Cost was $38

"There are no stupid questions , just stupid people"
So where do I fit into that if I didn't ask what hes gonna ask for shipping because I already knew what the post office charges to ship the thing ?

Never assume anyting with Ebay. As soon as you do, you get bit in the rear end. I do alot of selling on ebay. I do not put the shipping costs in my listings as fedex isn't connected with ebay yet. I do not hesitate to give shipping prices to those that ask. I don't take advantage of anyone though either. I could see maybe 8-10 dollars to ship as it's tough to ship anyting fedex ground for less than that. I also understand if someone doesn'twant to ship through the post office,our here sucks the big one. I don;t have time to wait in like there & then deal with a pumpus *** who is paird very well by the public to serve the public.

Yup, Unfortunately anything goes on ebay. Its become a cesspool for scum to rip you off.

I guess the key is to ask before bidding how much will s & H be, the H can be what ever they deem there time and effort is worth to get you the part.

If you guys can dont use UPS or especially the UPS store, fedex is much cheaper most of the time, how ever since i dont have a fedex close i just take stuff to the post office, everytime i use the UPS store, i pay out the wazoo.

If i am looking to buy and dont see shipping info I ask 1st.

I would bet it's a mistake on his part and I'd contact HIM about it before I would vent about it here. I can't see anyone charging $20 for shipping on that, even with insurance and delivery confirmation. On the other hand, shipping prices are crazy, and the little stuff it where it hurts the most, since the starting charges are often over $5 depending on how far the item is shipped. Packing materials cost money too (boxes, padded envelopes, foam peanuts, tape, etc.)

My thought is that it is $20 total. Seller has 100 percent feedback and I would think if he gouged on shipping that the rating would not be the case as others would feel the same.

I sell quite a lot on Ebay. As such I don't like the thought of being painted with the same brush as "cesspool for scum to rip you off". There are quite a few sellers on Ebay that are good, honest merchants that are just trying to sell off items or make a living. I myself have over 2400 positive feedbacks with many, many repeat customers. Only 1 negative feedback and that was from a chap in Ireland that I had to get into the NPB program to even get a response from. He paid late, I shipped right away and then he leaves a negative feedback saying that I did not communicate (sent him one invoice, three invoice reminders, two ebay system emails, the NPB contact, confirmation of payment received email, confirmation of item shipped email) and that he still did not have his item. Funnily, he negs me on the 16th of the month and USPS shows the item delivered on the 15th the day before he negs saying he hasn't got the item. Anyway, that side of things is a different story.

I count it no different than buying something at a swap meet, local store, mail order store etc. You have good and bad experiences depending on the timing, who you are dealing with and quality of product. I still feel Ebay is a good place to buy, but is like anywhere else, you have to ask questions, get a feel for the transaction and do the best you can. If in doubt ask!

As a seller I don't list shipping fees on my listings. I use USPS almost completely and used to list shipping with a small fee added to cover PayPal sucking out their cut and purchase of shipping materials. When someone purchased multiple items then the system would add all together and give a discounted combined ship for everything based on ship weight. Worked rather well. That is until the USPS changed their rates. Ebay may have changed since I tried right after the rate hike, but when I started listing with the new rates and using the weights etc. to combine ship items I ended up with not enough being charged. Weight was not the problem, but rather the box size needed to combine the items was not taken into account and the amount collected would calculate low and I'd end up being short on the ship fee. Just easier for me to delete shipping on the listings, put in the listing that I'm happy to combine ship and if you have any questions or need a ship quote to your area please email me and I'll be happy to quote.

Don't even get me started on the USPS International fees!! What a huge jump! You are forced to pretty much ship everything using First Class to get a decent rate and there they only say "varies" for estimated delivery so it is a gamble when it will get there. A 3 ounce parcel shipped by the new other choice of Priority Mail international is $16 just from here to Canada! Does not make sense on a $10, 3 ounce cable parcel and all!

I will say it seems that pretty much gone are the days of Ebay being filled with Joe Shmoes that are clearing out the house and garage. Sure they are still on there, but you find that the large majority seems to be companies selling instead. Not always at the cheapest price, but sometimes you get a deal when all is in.

There are those that take advantage of the shipping deal. Even in the Ebay seller community there is an uproar about some of these businesses that start a listing at .01 or .99 or buy it now for $1 etc. for a high ticket item and then charge $200 to ship or some such. The huge shipping is always listed in the auction so you know up front. Just a way to get around Ebay fees. Ebay does not charge fees on the Ebay side for what it costs for S&H. As such, the seller saves that money. Where Ebay gets their pound of flesh is on the PayPal payment where they charge the seller for the total dollar figure collected including shipping!

It is a strange thing, but you see loads of people who buy the 99 cent $200 ship example over a straight forward seller that puts in the item at $150 plus $40 shipping and gets dinged with Ebay and PayPal fees both ends. Even though the straight seller would come out cheaper it always seems like the 99 cent one comes out with more sales all things being equal. Guess it is the illusion of getting a deal???

Anyway, sorry for the sore spot rant. Best of luck with your item. I'd email the chap and say "Just to confirm the total with ship is $20? Just want to be sure before I send you payment." Should clear things up. Stay polite and even toned. If the seller does come back and say the ship is $20 then ask him to tell you how he comes to that amount, method of ship etc. Standard Priority Mail is $4.60 for a parcel that would carry that. On average most seem to charge $4.95-5.00. Even at $5.50 that is not too untoward if the seller has to purchase any materials, cover the cost of travel to the Post Office to ship (although ship and in some cases USPS pick up at the door is available), is covering PayPal fees etc. so as not to come out in the hole after the transaction.

Best of luck with it and hope all works out well.

Cheers

If you guys can dont use UPS or especially the UPS store, fedex is much cheaper most of the time, how ever since i dont have a fedex close i just take stuff to the post office, everytime i use the UPS store, i pay out the wazoo.

If i am looking to buy and dont see shipping info I ask 1st.

Ill step in and tell my experience on Ebay. I have 101 feedbacks and 100% are positive. I have sold Mopar parts, digital cameras, and a set of NOS Lamborghini tires. I usually quote a flat shipping price for shoebox sized items of about 2 bucks over Fedex. I do this to cover the cost of the box ( never under a buck), and the time it takes me to wrap the part in bubble or plasic bag and fill the box with peanuts (those are not free either). I have never gotten a complaint on my S&H. Remember its the handling that usually adds to the cost. I have to drive the box down to the Kinkos, etc. Its not all down to the shipping cost. And lets not forget the Fedex to Canada. Ever hear of Fedex Brokerage charges? I sent a Mallory Hyfire 5 to Canada, charged him about 12 bucks becasue it was international and that was a buck over my Fedex account charge. I get a Fedex Email 2 months later saying the receiving party failed to pay the brokerage charge on the parcel and I get backcharged 18 bucks to my account. I politely Emailed the receiver and he had no knowledge of the brokerage charge and refused to kick back the charge to my Ebay account! I was screwed and will forever second think shipping to Canada. I bought a set of rims and sent the guy the exact amount , added 4 bucks and sent him a return pick slip on my Fedex account. He printed it out, slapped it on the box he bought for 4 bucks and I got my rims on my dime, he had no problem doing this as the Fedex truck brought him the label and picked the "return" on his schedule. Worked perfectly and didnt gouge me on the shipping. I worked this out ahead of time and it wont work on Ebay storefront accounts, just garage cleaning out accounts. My suggestion is use the shipping calculator on Ebay and bid accordingly, shipping to high, dont bid. Go to the next Mopar swap meet and pay double for it. I dont like getting gouged either. I just paid .98 cents and 4 bucks shipping for a camera battery from Hong Kong, that is an honest shipping charge.

Thanks for your comment. It's no mistake though. I let him know I was posting in a few places.
Same seller has same gauges (had 3) listed at 25 "buy it now". No shipping details there either. I offered 60 plus shipping for the 3 "buy it now" he had. I understand now why my offer was declined. He plans to ship 4 times @ 20 each. Mo money mo money.
He started the listing I placed a bit on at 15 knwoing the gauge would need work. I''m guessing he dont have a clue whether the "buy it now" gauges work properly or not, just prettier pieces.
I have no real NEED for the part. Anyone who would like to pay out the nose for a 40 year old gauge, install it, then take it back out and send for repairs.... have fun.
p.s.A web search will find very few who will service this particular gauge.

-
Back