Ebay miss

-

Ccrussell

Reaction score
Okay,
So im bummed. I was watching an ebay auction for a super six manifold, and i was in the lead bid, or so i thought. Any way it came down to the last seconds, and i thought i had won as even my high bid was not met. How slick, someone must have had a much higher bid in place.
I lost, haha. Okay i see how this works now.

ebay can be tough - if you really want something you should proxy bid.. put in a # that you feel will win it - no need farting around when proxy bidding... if you really HAVE to have the item - figure out what you would pay for it and add 10%...

ebay can be tough - if you really want something you should proxy bid.. put in a # that you feel will win it - no need farting around when proxy bidding... if you really HAVE to have the item - figure out what you would pay for it and add 10%...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

feebay is like the monthly horse auction can be..... is the seller and his buddies bidding on their own horse? is the auctioneer pulling "ghost" bids out of the air? you decide what you are happy paying for the horse, and bid to that point if necessary. just life. you might argue is that right. I say NO< but is life always right!? No...... at a better sale, the seller WILL set a reserve that has to be meet. if is selling for " whatever it brings", then he will simply drop his reserve as it enters the ring.

same way with feebay. never bid till the VERY end, why would you bid earlier????????? if you are he only bidder, that's great (Unless the seller is bidding also thru another account or maybe computer).... if other bidders that are experienced f eebay bidders, they WILL wait till the last 10 seconds to bid!!!!

super six intake????? go on here under parts wanted and ask for one. and slantsix.org.. intakes are still fairly common, BUT the "rest" of it, throttle bracket banana shaft,, kickdown, etc is what can be hard to find.......and somewhat pricey......

What I do on e-bay. I determine what the item is worth to me. Then post a proxy bid for that amount, somewhere around the end of the auction (depends on when I can be online). I don't even go back to look at the auction. If I win it at my offer good. If I win at a lessor amount great. But I never get sucked into a bidding war. When determining what to bid, don't forget the take into account the shipping charges.

see? I think if you see something you HAVE to have - go proxy bid - say to buy item A.) new it would cost you $225 at Summitracing.com.. shipping over $99 through them is free. Joe Ebay has it listed for at $99 opening bid - a quick search and figure on USPS tells you shipping is going to be $35. So, you want to win it and decide on what it's worth to you - here I am going with $200 because this hypothetical item is in unused condition and I know that eventually I need to get one anyway.. I would put a proxy bid on it for $175 - add $35 for shipping and if I win it at my full proxy I've just paid $210 for a $225 item - anything under that $175 is bonus miles.. this has worked for me many times.. JM2C
PS - I have also used the "wait 'til the last second and toss out a silly #" method too, also with great success.. really depends on the item and how bad I want it.
PPS - always try to be at the computer when the item is ending juuuuuuust in case...

I bid one dollar over what the current bid is (so I don't forget about it), then bid what I really would pay somewhere between 20 and 10 seconds before the end of the auction (depending on current internet connectivity and refresh rate).

I'm about 90% on winning unless someone else wants to pay WAY more than what I think it's worth.

Bidding as ebay instructs )proxy bid) does in fact only serve to raise the selling price.

For items that are rare and you'll probably never find for sale ever again then you need to put a bully bid in at the last few seconds of auction to ensure you win it, then your bidding with no cap.

-
Back