Ebay puzzle.

-

adriver

Blazing Apostle
Reaction score
What happened? I have no experience selling on ebay.
I figure maybe the seller bought the item. They can end an auction early right?
The item got to the last hour. I was the high bidder. It ended before the time posted and the winner outbid me by two dollars. The seller didn’t have a “buy it now” on there but he said in the item description he would take 400 dollars (including shipping) for the item even though it was a “no reserve” auction. In other words, the seller wanted to get 400 dollar for the item, including shipping. And it went for 102 dollar plus 150 shipping and the auction ended before the time it said. The person that got the item only had three wins on their history. They seller has over 200 items he has sold with all positive feedback.
Any other scenarios?

P.S. I had asked the seller how I could "buy it now" for 400 and they told me to send money to a paypal account outside of ebay (just an email address) since ebay would not let them change it to a buy it now auction. That's not a good idea, right?

He may have a friend bidder helping bump the price. Then ended early cause tha didn't help. I'd say ignore the seller and his item.

I also agree that its probably for the best. Before I bought my Barracuda I was the high bidder on a nice driver condition 72 Challenger for $2500 and with a day to go the guy ended it early because he supposedly sold it locally. A week later he contacts me with a "second chance offer" saying the deal fell through but hed be happy to sell me the car for $3800. I say if its a no reserve auction they shouldnt have the option to end early.

Sounds like Redfish is right. A seller who doesn't play by the rules is to be avoided. I get a whiff of fish and I walk away. Telling the buyer to send money to an email address outside eBay is definitely something to walk away from. I'd report the seller to eBay as well.

I know a guy who has more than one ebay account. If things aren't going well, he can bid on his own items to raise the bid. If he ends up high bidder, he only has to pay the ebay fees, and he can turn around and relist the item later.

Very crappy way to do business, but some people are just that way. Stay away from them. Did I mention the guy above owes me $250!!!!

Here is a story that just happened to me.
Last year a guy had a 62 polara center console for sale on ebay, I ended up being the high bid of like 52 dollars, he then emailed me and said he wanted 100 for it. I offered him 75 dollars. Later he had it listed on a different forum. I again offered him 75. He chewed me out telling me how rare it was, but it was really beat up, definatelty not a good one at all, but I was happy paying 75. he was mad though. so I never did get to buy it.
This last week he posts on that board again he has ebay items listed. I check them out and then bid 25 dollars for that same console, Im the high bidder on a no reserve auction. At the last minute I was outbid by a dollar, so it sold for 26 dollars. I looked at the buyers info on ebay and it says that he has bought 4% of his 900 feedback from this dude. That is 75 items. I then check his feedback and there isnt one thing from this dude and vice versa. I smelled something fishy. I went back to the forum and said that and I was scolded by the moderator for starting crap.
It sucks you cant see who your bidding against these days.

I have bought several things there and am happy with almost everything. Tonight I bought a set of M/T valve covers for 66.50. I had only planned to spend 42.50 but decided I would pay the extra so I wouldn't have to look anymore. My high bid was $70.50. That is what it was worth to me and I'm not upset. I have had many bidders overbid me and I usually just say to heck with it. There is always next week. Did he have another bidder driving the bid up? I don't know. But I know I finally got what I had been looking for, for 2 years. Now if a set of M/T valve covers comes up? You can guess on what their worth.

........I tried selling a set of brand new mickies on this site and never even had an offer...I was asking $100.00 4 them, so I still have them............kim......

Did I ever mention to anyone I HATE E-BAY !!

just thought I would remind....

buy parts from someone who you can trust. :)

-RPM

-
Back