Ebay water pump does $1000 in damage.

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
This Daytona pickup belongs to a friend.
That so sucks.

IMG_0891.jpeg

IMG_0893.jpeg

IMG_0890.jpeg

Doesnt matter much where it came from, i doubt any vendor would have covered any of the damage

Some people don't know this, but....
EBAY SELLS NOTHING. THEY MAKE NOTHING.
They are just a site that allows vendors to get a broader audience to sell their products.
EBay isn't the one to blame, it is the vendor and manufacturer of the product.

Doesnt matter much where it came from, i doubt any vendor would have covered any of the damage
May be not but if you buy a part from the local NAPA you might stand a chance getting help. E Bay parts, nope.

May be not but if you buy a part from the local NAPA you might stand a chance getting help. E Bay parts, nope.
Correct, especially if you happen to have a commercial account. That's exactly why I set up a commercial cash account with OReilly. Plus, it offers some discounts.

What's concerning about this is, that water pump is likely made by the same company that makes water pumps for all of the big box stores.

Some people don't know this, but....
EBAY SELLS NOTHING. THEY MAKE NOTHING.
They are just a site that allows vendors to get a broader audience to sell their products.
EBay isn't the one to blame, it is the vendor and manufacturer of the product.

Absolutely.
I didn’t ask, because it wouldn’t matter.

I'd like to see the impeller.
Me too but it’s long gone.

That housing is broken in a manner that seems to indicate that something hit the impeller and it got blasted out front.
AS in
Oh that's where that bolt went!

It would be nice to see the broken out part at least,
ce-la-vie I guess.

I forget what company rebuilt my friends pump but can find out. After about a yr it let loose and ruined the radiator. He contacted the company and they replaced the pump and covered the cost to repair the radiator. It was on his 57 Dodge pickup so not a whole of mi

GMB?

I get mine from rockauto, and do select according to brand.

Dakotas tend to go through water pumps. I believe I'm on number seven in 175,000 miles.

I agree, it looks like either that was a hideously porous or previously cracked casting or the impeller got hold of something hard.

My biggest ***** about Magnum H2O pumps is that God-awful return tube with the O ring that barely seals.
I'd love to simply thread in a fitting, but of course that would instantly void any semblance of a warranty.

Dakotas tend to go through water pumps. I believe I'm on number seven in 175,000 miles.
Is yours a 4.7? I'm on water pump #2 with our 2004 Dakota after I put a new one on the new motor when I got it. 37K miles on it. My spanner wrench for the water pump pulley now travels with me on road trips!

GMB?

I get mine from rockauto, and do select according to brand.

I agree, it looks like either that was a hideously porous or previously cracked casting or the impeller got hold of something hard.

My biggest ***** about Magnum H2O pumps is that God-awful return tube with the O ring that barely seals.
I'd love to simply thread in a fitting, but of course that would instantly void any semblance of a warranty.
Wow 7.... I've never put more than 2 on any of my magnum engines. What kind of pumps are you using?
And when I put the 2nd one on it was because I had to be taking it off for something else anyway and replaced it only because I had it off.
The op seems to be about a newer engine he says "Daytona" not "Dakota". Magnum engines were history by then.
One thing that I don't like is how the newer ones have plastic impellers, the aftermarket does offer replacement with steel impellers

Thought the OP said Dakota.
The word "pickup" must have thrown me.

Mine is a 5.9.

Dakotas are notorious for cooling system issues.
Not sure about gen IV or the ".7" engine family
Mine has been better since the heater core finally let go and was bypassed.

All in all, though if I had to choose what kind of chronic issues my vehicle was going to have, it could be a lot worse- like timing chains or oil pumps.

At least the radiator (on #3) and water pump are relatively cheap and easy to replace.
Mine also has a history of eating belt tensioners.
Again, could be a lot worse things to change out as frequently.

I always sing the praises that this truck has been the most dependable vehicle I have ever owned.
It's fairly easy to work on, as well.

I've had 6 Dakota's and 2 Durangos, only the most recent Durango has a ".7" engine (4.7) and I haven't had that one very long.

plus a "1500" with a magnum and wouldn't say cooling system was an issue on any of them. My biggest issue with radiators seems to be caused by Bambi.
I'm replacing the 2nd radiator in the 1st Durango, the first one was Bambi's fault, 10 years and 100k+ miles later I'm replacing the radiator again because I believe the trans cooler may be plugged up so I took advantage of O'Reilly's lifetime warranty after 2 trannies in 3 months.
Even though I ran 5 cans of "Kooler kleen" thru the radiator when I replaced the first trans. I'm about to put that 2nd trans back in, so it'll have a fresh radiator and aux cooler with the overhauled trans.

"Transmission" is another thing I'd choose NOT to have as a chronic repair issue.
Anything mid 1990's to mid 2000's is fair game for that.
Fortunately mine has been fine, and it's never been opened.
I've been told by a couple different credible sources (career Mopar parts guy and former Mopar mag editor) that Dakota R/T transmissions were built different, although I can't confirm or find out exactly how.

BTW- I tow with mine all the time. Even full sized cars and trucks.

Our family has had a total of 7 Dakotas and Durango's. All 3.9, 5.2, or 5.9.
All of them have had cooling system issues usually starting between 80 and 120,000 miles.

Mine has been the longest kept at 22 years and 177,000 miles.

"Therm-o-cure" has been a godsend, and may have something to do with cooling system issues lessening after the heater core bypass. Previous to discovering that, nothing I tried could get the rust completely out.

That trans that lasted 3 months was a junkyard find that for all the world looked like a fresh rebuilt, which was why I got it. It had been under my bench for 3-4 years after I got it, and I put it in back in July last year and it died in October. I am just now getting to put the rebuilt original trans back in. That trans had 60-some thou on a refresh, before that I have no idea of its history, overall the original has over 300k on it. I put about 60k on it after I bought the Durango and the refresh 60k ago was just because I had no history on it. And because I dropped a lower mileage engine in it at the same time.
This time I added many sonnax updates to it while apart. Should have done that 60k ago when I had it apart the first time

Same thing happened to me 20 years back or so. Catastrophic water pump crack, fan went into radiator, busted up fan shroud. I think root cause was 1/2 inch spacer between fan and water pump threw fan balance off. Cast iron water pump. Luckily no damage to hood. Was trying to get better cooling spacing fan closer to radiator. Hard lessen to learn. Luckily high end radiator shop was local cause now they all closed owners retired ect.

As was already pointed out, it’s not an “ EBAY” part. It would be the vendor and the policies they have. EBAY is just a place for vendors to sell the parts.

Same thing happened to me 20 years back or so. Catastrophic water pump crack, fan went into radiator, busted up fan shroud. I think root cause was 1/2 inch spacer between fan and water pump threw fan balance off. Cast iron water pump. Luckily no damage to hood. Was trying to get better cooling spacing fan closer to radiator. Hard lessen to learn. Luckily high end radiator shop was local cause now they all closed owners retired ect.
Dunno.but I have issued the factory oem fan spacers for decades with no fails. ]\
Fact is todays parts are chit in most cases. And stupid priced also.

-
Back