econo w-2's

-

Charlie's Dart

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a stock 340 in my Dart and have had a set of econo w-2's for many years . I never knew if I could run those heads on my 340 ? I know I need to get the correct intake manifold and headers but other than that please help me out ! What kind of horsepower increase can I expect ? Thanx in advance

yes they will bolt up. yes you need the correct intake and headers. what is your cam specs now?

Don't think theyll work. Probably should just sell them to me real cheap.lol

I'm not real sure about the cam specs but its a 1968 formula "S" 4 speed cam , do you know the specs on that one ?

I'm not real sure about the cam specs but its a 1968 formula "S" 4 speed cam , do you know the specs on that one ?

Its a little hotter then the normal 340 cam, a really good cam everyday for street use.
if the heads are open camber they fit no problems. If there is two sets of threads by the exhaust ports any manifold or header will bolt on.

Where you live, if in the north you might want a water heated intake. Single plane intakes can work well on the street. Those heads should be good for 50 hp or more ported. edit..SW oh your in the desert heat, never mind about heated intakes, lol

You'll have to get specific rockers and shafts. The shafts you need are about 300 bucks. They have different oiling holes than the stock shafts, but they mount the same. If they were W2 race heads, they would require shafts with offset mounting holes. The rockers for all W2s are the same offset, you you're safe there as long as you get the W2 rockers.

W2's use a 3/8 bolt for the rocker hold down, standard heads use a 5/16 bolt. So a stock shaft will fit if you can get the 3/8 bolt through the hole. I don't think you can and you can't drill those shafts, you need to grind it or have a machine shop open up the holes.

Yeah, Econos were designed to use stock-type rockers and shafts. That means they should use std length valves too. I dont think they ever made econos that were closed chamber but I could be wrong there.

Yeah, Econos were designed to use stock-type rockers and shafts. That means they should use std length valves too. I dont think they ever made econos that were closed chamber but I could be wrong there.

there are long stem valve w 2 heads...and there are standard length valves...i have a set of each...

econo w2 will need offsetted intake rockers....can use standard adjustable exhaust rockers...

W2's use a 3/8 bolt for the rocker hold down, standard heads use a 5/16 bolt. So a stock shaft will fit if you can get the 3/8 bolt through the hole. I don't think you can and you can't drill those shafts, you need to grind it or have a machine shop open up the holes.

just check the econo w2 heads in shed....

long stem valve head econo w2 use 3/8 bolts..

standard length valve econon w2 use 5/16

have a brand new set of econo w2 shafts and rockers...shafts are take 5/16 bolts also....

Are the Ferrea valves worth buying or not ? And is the Victor jr manifold a 2 plane manifold ? All this would be for a nice little street motor to take on some of the ricers around here .

the new shafts i have do not have grooves in them....only w2 shafts i have ever seen with grooves are the ones for the race heads.....got 3 or 4 sets of those shafts....chromed and unchromed...

W2's are far more than 50 horsepower over std. heads even without porting. unported W2's are 260-265 cfm range out of the box (OOTB) . Bowl ported W2"s are 300 cfm easy. Bowl porting W2"s will pick up 50 cfm over well ported std. heads. With 2.06 horsepower per cfm will give just about 100 horse over the ported std. heads...All of that is true ONLY if you have the set up to USE them. W2 heads on a mostly stock 340 with around 10 to 1 might not be the best idea. Yes they will bolt up with the right parts but those huge ports will make that little 340 very sluggish and flat down low right where you need torque the most. Up top they will make HUGE power...that 340 would have to spin up to 7500 or more. Steep gears and lots of compression will make W2 heads more useable for street duty. IMHO..there are better heads out there for the street. The INDY/RHS head is a better head for a street 340/360 and will make far more power than the std. heads. The W2 is better for a stroker motor the bigger the better. Torque is king on the street not horsepower.

All good info guys, I just found out a few things about them, but I have a question for you guys! do any of you have any w-2's that our bad, I'm looking a pr if possible, that maybe cracked, with no major damage to them, Thanks chris the fuel guy

-
Back