Economy

-

75ddart

Reaction score
I'm not here to get into a pissing match with anyone, but visiting this site as well as other's concerning todays times and the car/motorcycle hobby. I read about guys/gals buying/ building cars/ bikes,parts and spending money doing their thing. Then I see how this economy has been in the downturn in recent years along with costs of everything going up, now all this healthcare crap, people loosing jobs, houses ect. and I sit and get confused on what are people doing, and not kind of preparing for future changes and go on as if life is the same as it was before all of this. I understand about continuing to go on living life, but over the years it is apparent that things are not doing better. I was at a local track the last 3 weeks of the season and talked with one of the track employees and he stated that their car count average was down from about 230 to about 170 to 180 and they have noticed that quite a few cars are parked because of this. So my question is, do most here and just ignore the times we are in and hope for things to get better or are those here re thinking things and going about being somewhat cautious on their hobby expenditures/ I don't imply this to be political or anything I'm just trying to get some insight on what I may do in the future concerning my car hobby interests, Thanks.

I've been in mopars since day one, I've never thought about getting anything newer, or a gas miser, I figured the car payment would offset any savings I'd get on mileage, the thing that pissed me off more then anything was, back in the day mopars was the red headed step child, everybody and their brother had a camero, nova or a mustang, and then mopars went stupid with prices and all the flippers jumped on the band wagon, and everyone thought their /6 4 door rusted out hulk was worth hemi cuda money, the only good thing that came out of that mess was the aftermarket also jumped on the band wagon, and now you can get about anything you need for a mopar, but yeah there has been a lot of times I had to leave a project sit in the garage because I had to use money for bills, food and life's little expenses, but all in all I've never sold one of my cars, unless to get another one, I figured it wasn't eating or drinking so it could sit until I got the cash to buy what it needed.

We are on a fixed income. Part of going out on disability for us meant losing all of the credit cards. And not wanting to incur anymore debt doing the things that we need to do. So for us, we went from putting things on credit and paying them off to not doing anything that we do not pay cash for. We need to build a house, but luckily are capable of doing a large portion of the work ourselves, which is the good thing. Bad thing, building this house is going to take us a while.....but I would much rather have to take 5 or so year so to build this house than be in debt for thirty years....As to the car end of it....it will get done when it gets done. Not going to make any "set in stone" decisions to we get to it....No point in building a hard charging street/strip ride if the local track closes and we have to drive several hours to go racing...A question or two for you.....What are your plans for your life? Do you make a good buck? Enough where you can fund your "hobbies" without taking said funds out of retirement plans? If the answer to the second question is no, then I would say you really need to step back and take another look at things.....Nothing wrong with accepting the fact that you are just not in a position to have an expensive hobby....one thing that I am always amazed at is how some folks that simply can not afford to build a car will pursue it anyway....pissing and moaning about how pricey it can get. They will get to a certain point, realize there is just no way they can afford to finish it and end up selling it....only getting 20% or so of what they got tied up in it.....Or build a drag car with a plate....a 13:1 compression, 8" convertor 5:17 geared monster.....and they can not afford a truck/trailer to tow it....They then come on an internet forum and ask the foolish question of "how do I get my race car to the track when I can't afford a truck/trailer"....And even more comical to me is the fact that a good portion of folks will actually try to answer this question....instead of just saying you were a dumbass for building a car that needs to be towed when you have no means of towing it...Damn, I am rambling...need more coffee.....

i know this isn't exactly in line with your post but preppers don't advertise for the most part...

cars are no different than anything else, depending on attachment or use they may keep one longer than another. If its something you love you'll make that a staple and take it out of the equation as a variable. Work on it when you can and when you want.

Hobbies are subject to choices people make. some people prioritize hobbies and others don't ....I have a lot of friends who had babies early in life and others didn't go to college and even others chose to get into drugs and party and because of their decisions they don't have much disposable income for hobbies and recreation.

I consciously chose years ago that I wanted to prioritize hobbies and recreation so I stayed away from boys and stayed away from an expensive lifestyle that would distract from my goal. so the result is that I am single with no kids and I have a few bucks and some time to dump into my car.

I am a recent college graduate and now that I graduated I was dropped from my parent's insurance, so yea, I hear you that is a problem.

but im in no hurry to use my degree and parents have expressed that they want me to stick around even though its my choice .....there again these choices that come up in life will directly effect the hobby.

not saying they are good or bad but choices people make will directly effect how their hobby life and life in general plays out.

Makes sense. I sold two cars (Mopars) over the last 10 years or so and I still have one in the stable.I have considered making some changes to it. If I decide to get out of the hobby completely, I won't get another car because of the reasons you stated in your reply.Currently it's a street car that see's very little street time, but have given thought on doing some upgrades and making some passes on the track next year, only for fun. I did the point thing for a few years and after a while it becomes old, and no fun. I have been looking on other sites for another bracket car to run once in a while, but I just can't seem to convince myself to spending the money with the way things are with all the doom and gloom. Not just seeing it on the TV, but seeing it firsthand at the gas stations, grocery stores ect. all right there plain as day. Would be much cheaper to make some upgrades on my car, but being a street car, it's somewhat more a PIA to work on vs a race car. I'm not a flexible as I was in my younger days. I did mechanical work most of my life and the old body isn't what it used to be. Spectating is not as much fun, but I can walk away with some jingle in my pocket.:D I guess I'm trying to get opinions on what other's are doing and how they are coping with these times we are in.

My answer to your question is that I have tightened my belt and cut out most unnecessary spending. Once and a while I will still pick up a hard to find part to add to my goodies. I try to plan ahead and I am not seeing things improving soon.

I'm also on disability here. Was able to get the car before I got on disability. So the funding is down right now. Yeah we don't do as much and spend as much. We just scaled
back on what we do. I still enjoy it all. Just a little less.
We really got lucky with our house fire. Thanks to good insurance. We now have a newer
house that's paid off. That helps with expenses. So for now we can manage.
I'm not getting rid of my car! Just enjoy it more when I have it out!

In the late 1980's and early 90's I built several cars. The amount of money I had to spend on cars vs. bills and expences was a lot more than today. Housing went up, cost of living went up, insurance went up, food prices, fuel prices, and so on. Everything went up, including my wages, just not as fast or much as expences. What I used to buy a month, now takes 3 months to save enough to buy. As such, I am currently rethinking my Drag car and considering changing everything to street.

Sure, things are not better and that's why just yesterday Cyber Monday had a record day of Two Billion dollars...

Guess those who are complaining are still waiting for their party's trickle down economy to take effect.

We are on a fixed income. Part of going out on disability for us meant losing all of the credit cards. And not wanting to incur anymore debt doing the things that we need to do. So for us, we went from putting things on credit and paying them off to not doing anything that we do not pay cash for. We need to build a house, but luckily are capable of doing a large portion of the work ourselves, which is the good thing. Bad thing, building this house is going to take us a while.....but I would much rather have to take 5 or so year so to build this house than be in debt for thirty years....As to the car end of it....it will get done when it gets done. Not going to make any "set in stone" decisions to we get to it....No point in building a hard charging street/strip ride if the local track closes and we have to drive several hours to go racing...A question or two for you.....What are your plans for your life? Do you make a good buck? Enough where you can fund your "hobbies" without taking said funds out of retirement plans? If the answer to the second question is no, then I would say you really need to step back and take another look at things.....Nothing wrong with accepting the fact that you are just not in a position to have an expensive hobby....one thing that I am always amazed at is how some folks that simply can not afford to build a car will pursue it anyway....pissing and moaning about how pricey it can get. They will get to a certain point, realize there is just no way they can afford to finish it and end up selling it....only getting 20% or so of what they got tied up in it.....Or build a drag car with a plate....a 13:1 compression, 8" convertor 5:17 geared monster.....and they can not afford a truck/trailer to tow it....They then come on an internet forum and ask the foolish question of "how do I get my race car to the track when I can't afford a truck/trailer"....And even more comical to me is the fact that a good portion of folks will actually try to answer this question....instead of just saying you were a dumbass for building a car that needs to be towed when you have no means of towing it...Damn, I am rambling...need more coffee.....

I can say that right now I'm on a fixed income and drawing some partial disability. Jobs are hard to come by, at least good paying jobs. I returned from a deployment and was medically discharged so at 52 I keep trying to convince myself to try to start over and at my age, which is not old, is not easy.I wish my wife of 30 plus years could see it that way by her spending habits.( Long story) I have a car/trailer/ truck. Car/trailer paid for truck currently is not, house not, no credit cards ect only what I stated plus monthly living expenses so in essence I'm not to bad. I have seen guys in the past get so upside down in their hobby they loose most everything, house, wife, kids ect. I talked to a bowtie buddy of mine the other week and he has a street car and has considered just taking it off the street and making it a track car. His comments were that his nice paint is all chipped up from driving it on the street and all the idiots ride your bumper and pull in front of you and its more of a stress full time than enjoyment. I understand they are just cars ,but a car that is 30 or more years old and it's something that you put your heart and soul into and only possibly have it destroyed by some mindless idiot would really piss me off. I may just consider just making some changes to make it more of a dual purpose car that a street only. Meaning making it a posi instead of an open rear, and may ne axles if needed, but I did find a nice race car turn key with a lot of good parts on it for a decent price. As I mentioned in my original post, I'm just concerned. I would like to have life the way it used to be as I'm sure other's would agree. I'm not one for change.

Meaning making it a posi by 75ddart

say sure grip, unless it's a chevy.

I am on a fixed income also and it's not easy for me. I may have to wait a month to get a part if it cost more than $30.00. I make my bills and have a little left over. I finally got my doctor to give me a release to get vocational rehabilitation to help me go back to work. I see no other choice in doing so.

I simply seperate my weekly paycheck from my hobby money, which comes from buying parts cars and selling parts. I am patient and wait for good deals on stuff or just don't buy it! All my cars run and drive so I only need $20 for gas to enjoy a day or two of driving something nice! Sometimes I use parts money to cover everyday expenses, but I like to keep them seperate if I can!

My bills are such that I need to make $100 a day, a number I can usually cover! If I don't work a day at my regular job I will spend the day doing parts, and list a few items! I never mortgaged up, only have one credit card for emergencies, and pay cash for everything! Works for me, the cars are paid for and free, and I'm not concerned with my "investments" on Wall St. I don't want to sign up for Obamacare and will not until I absolutely have to. I can't stand the thought of how our govt works and am afraid of handing them any money for that fiasco!!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!! Geof

Meaning making it a posi by 75ddart

say sure grip, unless it's a chevy.

Yea sorry for the bad word, I meant sure grip. I guess mentioning my bow tie friend that was on my mind. Sorry:D

Sure, things are not better and that's why just yesterday Cyber Monday had a record day of Two Billion dollars...

Guess those who are complaining are still waiting for their party's trickle down economy to take effect.

The reality is that the people who are suffering span all political parties, but, why let facts get in the way of poor attempt to politicize the thread. :sad3:

I simply seperate my weekly paycheck from my hobby money, which comes from buying parts cars and selling parts. I am patient and wait for good deals on stuff or just don't buy it! All my cars run and drive so I only need $20 for gas to enjoy a day or two of driving something nice! Sometimes I use parts money to cover everyday expenses, but I like to keep them seperate if I can!

About the same thing here, as I use the money from my HEI kits for my car.
I usually end up getting what I want for about 50% less than normal if I wait it out, and believe me patience pays off.
I ended up with an Eddie dual plane aluminum intake, Eddie performer 600 carb, chrome air cleaner,aluminized headers, Remflex gaskets, Flowmasters, 2.5 dual exhaust system and fabbed aluminum valve covers for about 500 bucks.

I do all the work which is a huge savings, and I don't have to worry about some hack messin with my car.

People cant seem to understand just because its on sale (for still more than its worth) THEY STILL CANT AFFORD IT...

You know whom is REALLY GOOD at stretching pennies into copper wire is Rustyratrod. He needs to start a thread with tips about financial & <part selection> efficiency and being thirfty.

Everytime someone starts one of the threads, I feel guilty/nervous. I should be saving more while I have guaranteed employment. I felt a big pinch when the wife stopped working and we had our first child. My budget for Mopar has completely dropped off from being a single guy... Talking with my civilian shop supervisor, the juinor E-5 submariners with only a few years in make a high percentage of what he makes a month (over 20 years as a federal employee), we pay pennies for healthcare and insurance, and can earn a retirement.

When I go back to the Oreilly's/AdvanceAuto that the wife used to work at and talk with them, it sounds so difficult for their employees-her friends/former co-workers.

People claim that $9K is a good price for a small block, and others scoff at that cost.

All I know is that I am going back to college this spring, and if I win the lotto, Mopar parts will be cheap again for everybody here!

I'm not here to get into a pissing match with anyone, but visiting this site as well as other's concerning todays times and the car/motorcycle hobby. I read about guys/gals buying/ building cars/ bikes,parts and spending money doing their thing. Then I see how this economy has been in the downturn in recent years along with costs of everything going up, now all this healthcare crap, people loosing jobs, houses ect. and I sit and get confused on what are people doing, and not kind of preparing for future changes and go on as if life is the same as it was before all of this. I understand about continuing to go on living life, but over the years it is apparent that things are not doing better. I was at a local track the last 3 weeks of the season and talked with one of the track employees and he stated that their car count average was down from about 230 to about 170 to 180 and they have noticed that quite a few cars are parked because of this. So my question is, do most here and just ignore the times we are in and hope for things to get better or are those here re thinking things and going about being somewhat cautious on their hobby expenditures/ I don't imply this to be political or anything I'm just trying to get some insight on what I may do in the future concerning my car hobby interests, Thanks.

you can get lost in the fears/worries(especially if you're glued to faux news/whatever fearmongering poison you want) OR just continue to work hard and spend your money wisely on hobbies.

I try to keep a segment of "FU" money in my accounts and keep the mindset that if all hell breaks loose, i will be willing to do whatever kind of work is available to survive.

As is, i may pick up a 2nd job nxt yr to finish my car and save for college tuition

For many I know going to the track at a regular bassis is out with the current down turn. At the same time, this expense was one of there most expensive fun things to do and could only do it because the money was a plenty in there pockets. The cost for "Us Islanders" getting off the Island into NJ for ethier RaceWay park/Englishtown or upper Jersey's Island drag way is an expensive day just to get there and hazardous crossing the city.

I never had it in my pocket to spend $150-$200 a weekend each weekend just to get out in the car and race. Local street racing here happens with hundreds of cars at a time in racer only meet loops. Cladistine meets are the norm. Or it "Will just happen" on the street. "A thing I can't do."

The car hobby of just simple meets is always strong. The market for such cars is always strong. The want to race is always strong. The places to race are questionable depending on where you live. The cost is what your pocket can handle.

My philosophy is most of the stuff we worry about never happens BUT while I can't control the economy, I can control my decisions and my attitude. So I avoid the news which in my opinion is just fear-mongering to keep people watching and sell advertising. There is nothing wrong with reinventing yourself and revising your goals. Last year I decided it was no longer worth it to me to keep spending on my car hobby so I got out. It is foolish to spend beyond one's means and not have anything to fall back on, no matter what state the economy may be in.

-
Back