"Eddie" AFB carb issues..

-
He's proving my "Digging in" point.

Their are remains of an electric choke on my carb. specifically, the housing is attached to the carb itself, sans any functional choke parts. There's 2 open ports (vacuum?) that open to the inside of the electric choke; do they dell a plug kit for those ports, or do you just find something to plug them with?

1; Who Is proving the "Digging" point?

2; Edelbrock sells complete replacement parts.

3: can you post a picture of the exact state the carb is in?

4: OH! Still wondering exactly what your meaning by your comment. Do so! Speak up! Come on now!

When you close the chokeblade all the way,during cranking, the pistons pull gas from every stinking hole under the blade they can. Count 'em, there are a lot of holes.As soon as it starts, the choke pull-off cracks that choke blade open a tad to prevent flooding.
With a manual choke, You have to be prepared to open it a tad right after it fires up.

As to that accelerator pump falling off, I doubt it. More likely are; A) it was incorrectly seated in the first place, or B) it got stuck either on the bottom or to the sides. This would most likely be from water freezing it to the sides. But since you had problems right from the get-go, Ima thinking A, and C) most likely it absorbed something in the fuel and swoll up, or D) the S link was on backwards, or E) some combination of these.
I was pissed. its a brand new Edelbrock 1470, DONT buy this thing. the four tabs holding the gasket in place are insufficient. my gasket loosened up a little slipped right off during acceleration.I was pissed.
Those four tabs are more than adequate. That same pump system has been on probably millions of carbs.

Yeah, my grammar ain't the best some times. And neither is my punctuation.And sometimes I mess it up on purpose to throw a lil spice into a post.Frinstnce;Rusty thinks my paragraphing sucks.

Last edited:
1; Who Is proving the "Digging" point? You. Certainly you be justified in lambasting me for assembling the carb wrong, then stating not buy the carb, its a piece of crap, but that's not what happened, and you know it. I even added details about how the Accel. pump was assembled the clear up confusion, avoid ambiguity, and to hopefully steer people away from the same issue i had. You read the post wrong, lashed out, and are now fully "dug in," so you.

2; Edelbrock sells complete replacement parts. Plugs for vacuum holes? I didn't see those, so thanks.

3: can you post a picture of the exact state the carb is in? Certainly.
upload_2017-1-25_14-33-27.jpeg
upload_2017-1-25_14-34-5.jpeg
upload_2017-1-25_14-34-27.jpeg
upload_2017-1-25_14-34-39.jpeg
upload_2017-1-25_14-34-47.jpeg

The gasket has loosened up over the last 6 months and now slips over the 4 tabs that hole it in. I pulled the gasket out of the bottom of the carb.

4: OH! Still wondering exactly what your meaning by your comment. Do so! Speak up! Come on now! Refer to #1.

Check to see if accelerator pump shoots gas in the carb. If not means no fuel in the bowl. Have someone crank engine with fuel line disconnected at carb and check for fuel, but be careful and have a can to get fuel from the line.

Yeah,no, this could be a fireball in a heartbeat
I would disable the ignition..........................
Cuz if it fires up gas will come shooting out of that line, and you will panic. In three seconds there could be gas all over the place. You will be shouting and screaming and the guy in the car will be doubly panicked and he will take another 3 seconds to shut the key off. If just one stray spark gets anywhere near those vapors, well, people die.

Last edited:
When you close the chokeblade all the way,during cranking, the pistons pull gas from every stinking hole under the blade they can. Count 'em, there are a lot of holes.As soon as it starts, the choke pull-off cracks that choke blade open a tad to prevent flooding.
With a manual choke, You have to be prepared to open it a tad right after it fires up.

As to that accelerator pump falling off, I doubt it. More likely are; A) it was incorrectly seated in the first place, or B) it got stuck either on the bottom or to the sides. This would most likely be from water freezing it to the sides. But since you had problems right from the get-go, Ima thinking A

Those four tabs are more than adequate. That same pump system has been on probably millions of carbs.

Yeah, my grammar ain't the best some times. And neither is my punctuation.And sometimes I mess it up on purpose to throw a lil spice into a post.Frinstnce;Rusty thinks my paragraphing sucks.
Fair enough, but when I slid the plunger back on the shaft, it slipped right off again after the first "pump". The plunger is literally 15% bigger in diameter than the spare I had sitting there. call it bad gas, water, whatever, it was worn out and stretched in a matter of months.

I had never seen this type before and assumed it was new. These are the one's I've dealt with before.
001982_v1_20090213.jpg
Thanks for the heads up on the manual choke.

Post replies outside the quote tags in order for the reply to look like you may have replied. Otherwise it is one big quote and if you replied within in it, it may go unseen and missed.

Choke shot?

Post replies outside the quote tags in order for the reply to look like you may have replied. Otherwise it is one big quote and if you replied within in it, it may go unseen and missed.

Choke shot?
The first pic I posted was the choke, you mean besides that one?

Where? I just see the plunger. Where did you post it? I don't think it loaded.

Ugh! Got it, there within your quote along with long windbag girly bitchs assuming ideas and banter like a baby *****, sorry Nancy.

Why do I bother?!?!
Frack this *** wipe!

Wow, this post just never ends.
Tell me about it. Never knew eternal damnation was the norm for asking some newb carb. questions. I'm still hanging on though; periodically, real answers come trickling through.

Fresh gas is clear to ever so slightly yellow.
Yours looks close to Orange already.Orange is only good for lawnmowers and not even very good at that.
They say oxygenated fuel eats rubber, but the 10% we have here in Manitoba doesn't seem to;all the rubber in my fuel system is at least 14years old except the accelerator pump diaphragms in my Holleys which were installed new in 1978 or possibly as late as 1979.
Brake fluid makes some rubbers swell.

Progress to report. I gathered what I thought to be all the manual choke parts, and started to gather tools. turns out I didn't have the piece i needed to attach the cable to the carb. But in the process, i dug out an old box of carb parts, and noticed I had quite a few pieces of the electric choke. laid those out, and did some research, and ultimately had everything i needed. Electric choke is installed, and working well. Thank you guys for your help here.

IMG_5215.JPG

IMG_5217.JPG

Oh boy, that was excruciating.:lol:

Glad you got it though, and as for the accel pump that's what they look like now and I'm going to have to get one pretty soon myself.
I liked the leather pump cups because they lasted 30 years, but you don't see those any more.

Hey guys. The ride now runs great after its warmed up, electric choke is working as advertised. But the 360 is very cold blooded and pretty hard to get started after its sat for a day or so. I have to pump the throttle several times, and crank 3-4 times to get it running. Then I have to keep it on higher idle for 5-6 minutes before it'll finally idle. If I take my foot off the throttle before, the thing dies.

Any Ideas? Thanks.

choke opens to fast, still need more fuel richen it up a little,

also adjust your high idle cam, do you have a electric pump?

On the black plastic choke housing, there is a hash line that should be indexed forwards two lines. Best choke operation is most likely there.

The fast idle cam part of the throttle linkage has a second screw used to set the chocked carbs high idle setting and idle speed. Adjust as needed. It is under the normal idle screw.

The excessive cranking is most likely due to a lack of fuel in the bowls. An electric fuel pump solves this issue.

On my stock 360, an AutoZone Mr. Gasket fuel pump works excellent. It n the pumped up 360, it is an Edelbrock low pressure (carb) fuel pump that does the trick.

All this in the instructions booklet supplied by Edelbrock with a new carb or on line at there site, Edelbrock.com

How old is the gas?
New fuel ever hurts.

Do you have equal reaction when you turn either of the idle.mixture screws?
If not, the low speed passage in one of your boosters is clogged.
Unscrew it from the main body, and feed a bristle from a wire brush through the passages.
That low speed is what feeds fuel to the transfer slots. Your symptoms are typical of that.

-
Back