Eddlebrock Carb Rebuild

-

mormanman

Reaction score
I'm rebuilding my carb and have it torn down and can't figure out how the butterfly values are suppose to open and close. The rest i think i can figure out but maybe not. Its a four barrel 1407 700cmf performer series.

I'm rebuilding my carb and have it torn down and can't figure out how the butterfly values are suppose to open and close. The rest i think i can figure out but maybe not. Its a four barrel 1407 700cmf performer series.

I"ll assume your talking about the counterweight valve for the secondaries right? If so, they lay in the slot so the weights rotate up & forward if that makes sence.

This thread is worthless without........

carb-supercharger2.jpg

I"ll assume your talking about the counterweight valve for the secondaries right? If so, they lay in the slot so the weights rotate up & forward if that makes sence.
Yes sir
And 67Dart273 I'll get some here in a minute. or should i do a youtube video? Pics first

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksxzJYQSeTI"]YouTube - Carburetor problems rebuild[/ame]
These are my problems so far.
Thanks

So we are talking about a AVS Carter? The air flow opens the secondaries with the counter weight. Avs stands for Air Valve Secondary.

So we are talking about a AVS Carter? The air flow opens the secondaries with the counter weight. Avs stands for Air Valve Secondary.

No, that is not an AVS, it's an AFB. an AVS has the air valve clearly visible at the very top of the secondaries, and is closed by spring pressure, same as a Thermojunk or Quadrajunk

You are correct, though the air valve on both AVS and AFB opens from air flow, there is no mechanical connection to the throttle linkage

Carter AVS:

CarterAVS.jpg

I cannot tell from your video if the butterflies are working OK or not. You had the counterweight assy in right, look at the diagram. Slots to the rear, and they sort of "tip up" curved part of the weights are down.

See if you can get a shot upside down. You MAY simply be "hanging up" on the fast idle / choke linkage which would hold them open some. Does the linkage seem to move free OK? Not gummy?

I'll get another video, but it opens and closes easy and everything i'm just making sure that i have it set up right. And thanks for letting me know about the air flow values.

So we are talking about a AVS Carter? The air flow opens the secondaries with the counter weight.

The AVS has what they call an "air door", no counterweights, it is spring loaded, The AFB has counterweights with butterflies connected to it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og1FUkawZ7g"]YouTube - Carb 2[/ame]
and the linkage and what not just making sure its right.

Looks OK from what I can see. Again, the primaries may be holding partly open from the cold idle (fast idle) cam.

You need one of those things. Ya know? a tripod?

I don't understand the fast idle? and i was using my iphone thats why. i don't have anything else to take a video.
thanks

At about 1:14 in your video, the piece you are fingering is the "fast idle cam" and the screw on the front throttle butterfly (throttle arm) is the fast idle adjustment. When the choke is "set" it pulls on that linkage and allows the cam to move down against the screw. When you tap the throttle or pump the gas, the cam moves in place so the screw "jacks up" the cold idle

Did you read the book? Page 8

Oh ok, and i didn't read the book yet hahaha. i should have.

Just letting everyone know I got it all rebuilt. i struggled a little bit more with the outside linkage but got it all good.

-
Back