eddy head question

-

dartfever

Reaction score
Have a 383 in a 73 dart with eddy rpm heads. Switching from an comp cams xe274h to a xe282s. Will the springs that come with the eddy heads handle this cam? The seat pressure is higher on the eddy springs at 120 compared to the recommended springs from comp at 112. Unfortunately, eddy doesn't give an open pressure rating. The comps are 355.

Also, what practice do you guys follow for sealing the intake on big blocks? The parts guy was saying we have to use the intake gasket and belly pan. I think some rtv sealant and the belly pan would be the way to go.

I asked Edelbrock for the specs on the springs that come on their small block heads & this is what they sent me:

Seat pressure @ 1.800”=120lbs.

Open pressure @ 1.219”=320lbs.

Installed height 1.800”

Don't know if that'll be any help, but I would think the big block springs would be similar. The seat pressure is the same.

The few extra pounds will be OK to run. Anymore than what the current difference would be and I would be asking a pro about this.

On the valley pan, if you can get a plate under the intake instead, you'll like that better, as so I'm told by the users of the plate. I currentley have a valley pan under my stock intake on my 400. I'm not crazy about it.

Let us (Me) know how it performs.

I'm gonna assume similar specs on the BB head. I seem to recall 310-315lbs open on them.. Comp recommends there double spring 925 are 388 open, the single comp 911-16 are 310. If this was a cruiser car, I'd say the singles are marginal at best. lifer control is almost as important now a days with the poor oils. So going a little light can hurt more than just power. I have yet to use Edelbrock springs on a build I use the heads on. They are just not enough when you look at what the cam companies want. The trend is more spring, not less. And careful builders will run a heavier spring at a lower performance level for much longer, than a light sprign maxed out. IN terms of the smaller XE you have now, the springs were only marginal for that too. So it's very likely the springs are tired anyway. On the upside, Edelbrock's retainers and locks will work in mnay cases with others' springs.

Should say this isn't my engine. Helping a friend out. The springs that comp recommends for the XE 282 S are the 924-16's. They have 355 open pressure. Maybe use the Eddy's for the breakin and then switch to the comps? So I will advise them to switch them out. Next question. Will the dual spring fit on the eddy head without milling?

You should be fine. We have stock Eddy heads on my sons 400 and he runs the MP .557 cam. They have been on there for 2 years and have been fine. Ron

Yes, the retainers and spring seats are already set up for doubles. You juts wantt o make sure the inner spring and dampner sit properly on the retainer. I was able to reuse some, and I had to replace on one set using Crane springs.

Do you folks know if the Edelbrock SB heads allow the header bolts to protrude into the water jackets as on a stock head ? Thanks

On the Magnums they do not - and I believe the LAs are the same.

-
Back