eddy's tuning differ from j's

-

abodyhotrod

Reaction score
i have recently changed from j head's to eddy's. what should i focus on such as tuning and timing.
with nothing changed the car doesn't want to start when its warmed up. also seems to take a little more gas at start up.

how much timing should i take away,and should i give her more gas or you tell me(is this even the right direction).

much rather ask you guys than sit on the side of the road and wrench.

thank you, AbodyHotRod

I'd knock about 4 - 6 degrees out of the timing. Start with 4*'s.
If you have a track thats open nearby, back off till the ET drops.

What gasket did you use under the carb? The paper thin one? If so, try a thicker OE type gasket for heat protection.

The Edel. heads have a slightly bigger port volume than a stock J head and will require a tad more gas. The larger port also slowed down the velocity.

The Edelbrocks don't have heat cross overs for the intake manifold which is good. However, if you were running with the cross overs unblocked on your intake before the swap then you will have to jet the carb up. This is because you are running much cooler intake manifold then before so more fuel is need to compensate.

You might want to try a TQ carb due to its phenolic base. They absorb a lot less heat than a metal-bodied carb. I had the same problem when I was running a Barry Grant carb. That heat soak made it take forever to start when it was hot.

thanks guys, sounds good i did make some changes in that direction.(runs alot smoother)
she still dosn' want to start after a lil 20 minute cruise,while she's still hot,5 to 10 minutes later. should this just be boil over from carb or heck i'll just check the carb out.

thanks bill i missed your post some how, maybe its that 195 stat i put in there she gets 210+ when i wrench on her, but had no probs with the 180.

Make sure the float level is right, and that your timing is good. Depending on what they replaced, and your build, you may find it likes more timing. You cahnged a big chunk of the package. So I would say start from the beginning and re-tune.

added sum start retard and seems to start better now when hot,

-
Back