Edelbrock 1406 Not Pulling Fuel into Carb

-
Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm sure there is something simple and obvious I'm missing but I am still stumped. Long story short, after putting the carburetor back on, I wasn't getting any fuel into the actual carburetor when pumping the gas. Not even into the fuel bowls. I disconnected the fuel line from the Fuel Inlet and manually sucked fuel from the tank to make sure it wasn't something down the line towards the fuel tank and that was all good.

I then, manually filled the bowls to see if the plunger would do the pump shot and that all worked fine as well. I also made sure that the floats were NOT stuck up and I actually blew air into the fuel inlet to make sure that circuit wasn't clogged. Is this a sealing issue between the Air Horn and Body Assembly? Theoretically speaking, if I manually pump the plunger, shouldn't I feel a suction if I place my finger over the Fuel Inlet? Because I'm not feeling any suction.

The grooves on the Air Horn, that push into the gasket, are worn down pretty bad, could this be the issue? In the photo I attached, the area circled in red is where the groove is warn nearly all the way down.

Thanks for the help.

Carb.jpg

Fuel pump fills the carb from the fuel tank. The plunger only pumps fuel to the nozzle’s inside the carb.

The carb does not create vacuum to the fuel line.
The fuel pump supplies pressurized fuel to the carb.
The fuel in the bowl, feeds fuel to the accelerator pump by gravity, from the float bowl to the accelerator pump chamber.
No sucky from fuel line .

I got fuel from the line when manually sucking it using a vacuum tho, isn't the plunger on the carb supposed to do this in addition to the pump shot? Or am I way off
The other guys have answered already but yes you’re off a little. The plunger only squirts fuel from the bowl into the throat of the carb. The pump is there to lift fuel from the tank and fill the carb bowl.

I'm sure i missed something, but you manually filled the bowl and got a pump shot. So if the bowl won't fill by cranking the engine and all the lines are clean, it has to be the pump, something with needle or the vent is clogged. You didn't mention why the carb was off in the first place. Was there another issue you were dealing with?

put a hose on the gas line at the carb to a container and crank the engine. As suggested before, no fuel means dead fuel pump.

Can you suck gas through a mechanical fuel pump that's good?

-
Back