Edelbrock 1407 issue

-
Rat,
It is father's day here in Sept. I would like to send you a pair of glasses.....
Then you can actually read what I say.....
I have NEVER been a Holley fan, so I do not know where the comments in post #25 come from. They do make good paper weights!!!

Rat,
It is father's day here in Sept. I would like to send you a pair of glasses.....
Then you can actually read what I say.....
I have NEVER been a Holley fan, so I do not know where the comments in post #25 come from. They do make good paper weights!!!

I made that comment because you mentioned the horrible, piss poor, nasty, worthless gaskets that Holley carbs come with.

In the 1970’s and 80’s (I’m not sure when the change actually occurred so I’m guessing) and probably the early 1990’s, Holley’s came with those brown gaskets. They were worthless. You got one use out of them. And the really bad thing was they didn’t just stick like they were cemented on, you had to scrape that **** off with a razor blade.

I tried all the “tricks” you could think of. Spraying the gaskets with PAM. Yeah, that didn’t work. At all. Then there was the guaranteed (by Holley) fix of using lanolin on the gaskets. And…that didn’t work either. The last “trick” was using chap stick on the gaskets. Like everything else, that failed too. And there was other “tricks” that I tried and they all failed.

Then whatever year it was, Holley’s started coming with the blue gaskets. They don’t stick nearly as bad as those brown gaskets, but they don’t come apart clean. And, you still have to razor blade the residue off. I can get maybe two uses on those. And they are a one use deal if there is any ethanol in the fuel.

So my point was you can buy gaskets that don’t stick and can be reused multiple times. They don’t leave a bunch of crap on the bowl and metering block either.

BLP sells gaskets that work. I use Superformance gaskets. They work too.

As I’ve said many times before, if it has the “Holley” name on it I pass. Quick Fuel used to be much better than they are. And we know that Holley bought them out. And quality dropped.

You don’t have to have gasket issues with a Holley or a clone. You just can’t use Holley parts.

That’s my point. Buy something manufactured by Holley and you get what you deserve.

Rat,
All fair comments & agree totally with you that the original gaskets were no good.
In my opinion, it was a fundamental failing by Holley for not designing a better gasket system from day one. Those gaskets would dry out, shrink, crack etc if the engine sat for awhile & create all sorts of weird problems.

Rat,
All fair comments & agree totally with you that the original gaskets were no good.
In my opinion, it was a fundamental failing by Holley for not designing a better gasket system from day one. Those gaskets would dry out, shrink, crack etc if the engine sat for awhile & create all sorts of weird problems.

That’s is a FACT!!! Shame on Holley for keeping that junk on the market for so long.

Addendum to the story. I got an Edelbrock brand accelerator pump, and the problem is solved. Thanks for (almost:lol:) everyone's help.

-
Back