Edelbrock 1481 hook up.

-
Ok guys next question. Linkage slot doesn't quite reach the pin, is there a different kickdown rod or bracket that i need? I also dont see anywhere to connect the other end of the spring to. I know Im kinda basic at this stuff, but I appreciate the help.

Sounds like you're using 2bbl upper rod. You need the 4bbl one, or lengthen your current one

3258003_R_1c5be944.jpg

Last edited:
I know that, but once again there's more than one way to skin a cat. I choose to do it differently at the rear where the bracket mounts to the intake, because I cannot stand those brackets. They look stupid and in some instances, they still don't work.

except those came with the Chrysler designed throttle linkage arm already on...

AFB2.jpg

I am still trying to figure out WHY an Edelbrock carburetor needs that adapter. Here is how the linkage should be though.

See how the small spring is attached to the carburetor pin and the throttle pressure arm to pull the rear of the slot against the pin? This must be this way so that the throttle pressure linkage starts to increase the throttle pressure AS SOON AS the vehicle begins to accelerate.

The way yours is, the transmission will burn up in short order, starting with high gear, second and finally low. That might suck, unless you like spending money on rebuilding transmissions. I know I don't.

Lastly, you can also see the large throttle return spring on the bottom, which is correct, but on the bottom it will need to ba attached to a point behind the carburetor in order to pull the throttle closed.

Hope that helps.

View attachment 1714929406
Good question about the adapter. I would say the adapter spaces out the linkage so it connects straight and not at a angle. The Edelbrocks are the same width as the old Afb's but the throttle plate attachments are universal on the Edelbrocks compared to the oem Afb/Avs carbs. If all you need is the stock throttle adapter and a usable hole to put it in it should work good. I have some old afb's but they are 4 speed carbs and don't have the adapter like 65Val pictured.

Mike...on the old AFB's, the only difference between auto and 4spd linkage is the length of the throttle stud....4spd is shorter, as no kickdown linkage is needed......they interchange.....
upload_2016-5-9_19-18-58.jpeg
upload_2016-5-9_19-19-19.jpeg

4spd........................................................auto

Sounds like you're using 2bbl upper rod. You need the 4bbl one, or lengthen your current one

3258003_R_1c5be944.jpg
That extension works if your existing kickdown rod has a threaded end on it. Some don't which would require some cutting, boring and then tapping the existing kickdown rod to use the threaded extension pictured.

.......Darwin has it right , look at his pics...........I have had many mopars all with factory linkage 2 and 4 bbl and never had 1 problem........those cables work in a pinch but they have destroyed more trannys from not being set up right than I care to count.........kim.....

.......Darwin has it right , look at his pics...........I have had many mopars all with factory linkage 2 and 4 bbl and never had 1 problem........those cables work in a pinch but they have destroyed more trannys from not being set up right than I care to count.........kim.....

What cables? Aftermarket kickdowns?

-
Back