Edelbrock aluminum heads 60179 or 60779?

-
I have a set of the closed chamber Ede’s here that will be going on a 340 with the pistons sticking out .025”.

They’ll use a thicker gasket to get the quench distance correct, and the heads will get milled for the desired CR.

I'd check each corner piston to deck and go from there. If they are .018, find a .055 and go with it. You could likely get by with the .049 8553 gasket.

No need to push the limit. Seen plenty of heads that have witness marks on them and a hyper piston may not take kindly to tagging a head.

I'd check each corner piston to deck and go from there. If they are .018, find a .055 and go with it. You could likely get by with the .049 8553 gasket.

No need to push the limit. Seen plenty of heads that have witness marks on them and a hyper piston may not take kindly to tagging a head.

Thank you. Which cam would you use if the info above was dead on?

Also, if I wanted to measure it for my own piece of mind, how would I go about it? Do I need the HG I'm going to run and clay the top of the piston? Do I torque it down or only snug? I can only find info on Piston to valve clearance, not piston to head.

Piston to head is the quench number folks are tossing around.

Cam, I like the XE274, BUT, i always go that route on camshafts. It will take some effort to get the idle tune right. If you want it to idle smoother then go with the 268 cam. It will still have some chop with the 268

Piston to head is the quench number folks are tossing around.

Cam, I like the XE274, BUT, i always go that route on camshafts. It will take some effort to get the idle tune right. If you want it to idle smoother then go with the 268 cam. It will still have some chop with the 268

Right, I get that the quench is the Piston to head clearance. I just wasn't sure if I should measure and then pick the gasket or go ahead with .055 for instance and run it. Am I over thinking it?

What makes the 274 tougher on the idle? Is it th duration? I'm running fitech fuel injection and with the 268 I didn't have trouble with vacuum. They are both on 110. Thanks still learning all of this.

Yes, overthinking IMO. Simple math there.
Gasket compressed thickness - stick out above deck = quench.

Leave the play-doh for the kids on that one.

Yes on duration.

I have a set of the closed chamber Ede’s here that will be going on a 340 with the pistons sticking out .025”.

They’ll use a thicker gasket to get the quench distance correct, and the heads will get milled for the desired CR.

What quench or piston to head clearance are you aiming for?

-
Back