Edelbrock Fireball!!!

-

faster4231

Reaction score
I installed a new Edelbrock 4bbl carb and noticed that when I turn it over I get a huge fire ball out the top of the carb. At first I considered timing, after double checking I still get the fireball and a puff of white smoke, and engine wont idle, if I pump the gas I get loud back fires. Now I did notice that last night on the back of the carb is a port for the power brakes ( about the size of a nickle) this is not pluged. I know if comes with a plug but you know how those small parts run away. Can this create such a vaccum issue that the carb blows fire like this? Or is that just something I should plug but has no effect on the engine turning over?

Thanks FABO

step 1: plug big hole in back of carb
step 2: start engine
step 3: report back here with results

OMG! RU kidding? WOW!

OK< read manual that came with the carb. If purchased scond hand, look to Edelbrock.com and find instructions to read through.

Yes men, read instructions because causeing a fire that melts your car to the ground could be the least of your worries.

It came with the engine and the guy swears it was new (looks new) , no manuel, I always try to read first then trouble shoot later, the only thing I can see on the edelbrock sight is that the carb comes with a plug if you do not use the power brake vacuum port. Doesnt give the "this is what happens if you dont" I am just trying to eliminate any other problems. If I can avoid any other trouble shooting that would be great. I am assuming a vacuum error of that size could cause this. If I hear you guys say that a vacuum leak wont make a fire ball then I am moving on to step two of the investigation.

I heard of this problem before..where is your fuel line hook up to, any chance right in front on that big VACUUM port that is for the brake or pcv valve?

Called Edelbrock, MUST PLUG power brake vacuum if not in use. I figured but wanted to make sure this was the cause of the eyebrow burning flames shooting out of the carb. 1/4 NPT plug and the problem should go away, without it plug it is causing the carb to run way to lean and will cause this problem. PCV covered, primary vacuum to dist covered, auto trans vacuum covered. Now to plug the power brake vac. Was a silly thing and if I would have installed the carb would have realized that there was a 1/4 gapping hole in the carb, had to take a mirror to check it. Problem will be solved now. Now I know why guys stick to Holly Carbs. lol

Thanks Fabo, for the help and insults. lol. Im a newbie remember!

Holleys have the same vacume ports that need to be blocked off as well if not being used.

ok, so I plug up the rear vacuum, get excited turn over and FFFRRRRTTTT nothing. Still white smoke puff from carb. Its almost like I see a sprits of fuel shoot out the carb as well its really wet. I have a fuel cell with a regulator and electric fuel pump and seems as if the fuel is flowing too freely into the carb...... Idea's?

Whats your fuel pressure? i think its supposed to be like 6-8psi? do these cars have an fuel return vent?

Problem, I have the regulator and no gauge (getting one this weekend) not sure about a fuel return vent. It seems like it wants to fire up just wont quite get there. I dont want to flood it by pumping gas, but it seems like this is what its asking for. However I stuck my fingers down in the carb... (without a buddy turing it lol) and its wet so I know fuel is getting there

My Edelbrock 1406 600cfm carb was having major troubles... I bought a regulator and set it to 5.5lbs as the manual said and I was good to go!

Really, major problems like I am experiencing? I have a regulator but no gauge, getting a gauge this weekend and hopefully that lets me set it just right.

forgive me,
but can you hook up a sound effect for when you turn the ignition?
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp1O1wkPQnY"]YouTube - Hadoken[/ame]

otherwise I'm thinking timing... seems spark is escaping up out of cylinder...

if you think it needs more fuel, try pooring some in or engine starting fluid.
if you think its getting too much fuel, try pinching fuel line with vise grips or something

Really, major problems like I am experiencing? I have a regulator but no gauge, getting a gauge this weekend and hopefully that lets me set it just right.

Somewhat, My carb was flooding and had fuel coming out when I shut the car off. Just a matter of too much pressure for me. I could start it after it had been sitting for awhile but it would only run for 30 seconds at most before flooding and dying.

Man I am suprised that I get more jokes and smart comments on here than real help. Some of my other posts and I have been walked right through it. I send friends here because of how helpful most of you have been. Now I get this?

Im thinking timing too. Ill just refer to my book I guess. Good jokes though guys

no offense but maybe you would be better off letting a mechanic take a look at it......just saying, anyone who thinks a wide open vacuum is OK ....should not be working on a car.

but everyone has to learn some way or another.

was this carb a new carb? or was it a rebuild? , do you know if it works for sure? or did you get it from a guy who got it from a guy who got it from a guy that bought it new 6 years ago and has been on a shelf since? lol

that edelbrock-holley debate is played out....both make good components.....both have vacuum ports .......a holley will not work properly with a wide open vacuum port just the same as an edelbrock.

good luck figuring it out....sounds like maybe a bum carb or bad timing ....your probably sitting 180 out

Man I am suprised that I get more jokes and smart comments on here than real help. Some of my other posts and I have been walked right through it. I send friends here because of how helpful most of you have been. Now I get this?

Im thinking timing too. Ill just refer to my book I guess. Good jokes though guys

no offense but you walked into it with the booster plug...

did you check the spark plug wires to make sure there going to the right plug?
if yes pull the #1 spark plug out and put your finger over the hole... bump it over till you get pressure... make sure the rotor is pointing slightly before the #1 post on the cap...
if yes then your timing is close enough to start...

and get a gauge to see where your at on fuel pressure...

P.S. did you hold the throttle open about the 1/4 of the way when trying to start it? is the choke closed?

Its not that I thought the vaccum was ok, it was that I just found that the vaccum was open, just didnt know if this was causing the problem, got a plug after work, sealed it in and same problem. Like you say we all gotta learn someway and I rather learn by burning off my eyebrows then burning my wallet.

When I close the choke it wants to start and somewhat does and idles a split second. I am messing with the timing tomorrow. I know I sounded like an A@@ with vacuum question. I know I know. Not trying to erk you guys either just frustrated lol.

Its not that I thought the vaccum was ok, it was that I just found that the vaccum was open, just didnt know if this was causing the problem, got a plug after work, sealed it in and same problem. Like you say we all gotta learn someway and I rather learn by burning off my eyebrows then burning my wallet.

be carefull because you might end up burning the car which will for sure burn your wallet more in the long run. And an open port is no good no matter what....any unused port should be capped or plugged rather its running bad or running good.

When I close the choke it wants to start and somewhat does and idles a split second. I am messing with the timing tomorrow. I know I sounded like an A@@ with vacuum question. I know I know. Not trying to erk you guys either just frustrated lol.

how cold is it where you are? maybe its just to cold to start up. old carbed cars don't always "fire right up" like efi vehicles of today (more so in colder weather) ......you may have to pump the gas a few times and with the chock CLOSED try firing it up.......might take a few minutes of repeating this process before you get it to fire up and be warm enough to stay running....then after it has had a few minutes to run and the choke open it will be fine.

maybe you are dumping fuel into a cold engine and without knowing the "startability tricks" if you will of an older vehicle?

just an idea......odds are though that there is some sort of mechanical kink that needs to be worked out.

Thanks, ya I am in CA and not cold here lol. However I am only in day two of this debacle so still alot to check out, I also need to check out the timing. Dist has elec ignition on top, want to make sure I didnt throw it off.

Thanks, ya I am in CA and not cold here lol. However I am only in day two of this debacle so still alot to check out, I also need to check out the timing. Dist has elec ignition on top, want to make sure I didnt throw it off.

did you read my previous post?

and what did you mean by this? the pick up is in the distributor and the box for it is on the firewall...

-
Back