Edelbrock head questions

-

metallidart

member me?
Reaction score
Ok, I got a few questions for you guys that have assembled your Edelbrock heads and know some measurements on them. I'm just trying to make a list of what I need for my valvetrain, and I have yet to disassemble the heads. My questions are:
1. What is the installed height of the valvesprings on these heads?
2. What is the o.a.l. (overall length) of the valves?
3. What is the max valvespring diameter without machining the heads?

Any input would help! Thanks!

https://www.google.com

Here are 2 of the answers....just need the valve length.

[ame]http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/edl-60779.pdf[/ame]

Thanks! I tried google, bing, etc and I didn't come up with anything. Must not have been using the right words! lol. The valve length question wasn't real important, just more curiosity. I have to get valvesprings/etc to match my roller, and I just wanted to see what general direction to go in. I think I'm going to print out the edelbrock pdf link. Thanks again!

There is no standard valve spring height, depends on the cam and springs used, so the installed height has to come from the cam manufacturer. You will have to make sure you have at least one steel shim of significant thickness under each spring. Check with Edelbrock or someone else who know how thick the steel shim has to be.

valve length is 5.010 it is a small block chevy 11/32 ....

PERFORMER - 6076-6077 E 1.600 X 5.010 F1302 F1102P F6104 F5025
-6017-6019 I 2.020 X 5.010 F1651 F1118P F6103 F5027

those are ferrea part number

I have a pair of the 61779 eddy magnum heads in the box I can measure if you want.
Installed height is measured from spring seat to retainer?

Thanks! I tried google, bing, etc and I didn't come up with anything. Must not have been using the right words! lol. The valve length question wasn't real important, just more curiosity. I have to get valvesprings/etc to match my roller, and I just wanted to see what general direction to go in. I think I'm going to print out the edelbrock pdf link. Thanks again!

If you are going roller you will probably need to open up the spring cups for a bigger spring. My Edelbrocks were done by Ryan Johnson at Shady Dell Speed shop, and if I recall correctly he had to open them up a bit to get the 1.539" diameter springs in. Rollers need a LOT more spring pressure (compared to flat tappets), so you will need bigger springs.

What size roller are you looking at?

Thanks for all the replies! Those are the answers I was looking for.
The cam I'll be running is a Crane solid roller, 698801. It is .630/.630 lift with 1.5 rockers, 260/266 at .050, and 292/298 advertised. I was thinking about running a set of Lunati valvesprings, pn 73899-16, as they are a little more compact than the Crane springs. 1.5 od, 197 @ 1.85. They are very close in rate to the Cranes, and alot cheaper. I won't be putting many miles on the car (cant afford to lol), and its just going to be something to have fun in. I'm thinking I'll have to run spring cups, but thats another thing I'll have to figure out. I don't really have the money to have them set up by a shop, but I know I'll have to have them machined for larger diameter springs at least.
Here is another question.
Can the spring pockets also be cut deeper for more installed height, or should that be changed by getting longer valves or retainers that are offset vertically?

Again, I appreciate the input, and if you have any more, throw it at me!

scrappydoo, you are correct. I'd love to have the measurements if you are able to get them! Any info helps, can never know too much!!

With a roller spring (lots of pressure) I would do spring cups so that the spring does not dig into the head (also helps locate the spring). You can vary the install height by cutting the spring pocket, changing retainers, longer valves, etc. With that cam (I'm not sure what Crane recommends) I would think about installing it at 1.80" to give you 225# seat and about 566# open. On that same note, you will need some good rockers to handle the high spring pressure.

You are right with the spring specs, that is about what they want, and it is almost exactly what the Lunati springs are that I was looking at, but at a 1.85 installed height. Would I be able to just have the spring pockets cut to match the diameter of the spring, and deeper to make up the .05 difference and the difference for the spring cups? Kind of what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure if it was the correct way to go about it. I have a set of Crane Gold rockers.

scrappydoo, you are correct. I'd love to have the measurements if you are able to get them! Any info helps, can never know too much!!

Just measured spring height and it is 1.780"

Spring pressure at seat is 125lb and 300lb at .560" lift
Complete head weighs exactly 14kg.

Well worth going through the head as I have 2 tight guides on the inlets on the one head I've pulled apart.

All spring seat pressures were even and cc's were even.
And I have also found tiny balls of metal between the retainer and spring.
HTH.

Here's a picture of one of the metal balls I have found.
IMG_20120618_114243.jpg

This one I found under one of the lower spring cups.
I found a total of 4 metal balls on one head, and I had to use a flex hone on 2 valve guides.
Yikes.
Glad I decided to strip them down.

That's a peice of airless shot. Aluminum can't be safely cleaned that way, but the steel parts can be. Over the years I've found aluminum shavings stuck in the assembly lube, missing shims, amd springs missing the dampner in addition to the guide and seat concentricity issues.

Wow. So far, the one head that I tore apart looks good. I'm going to have it checked out regardless, along with the other one. I didn't find anything funky like your pic or what was mentioned, but I'm looking lol. It happens, I guess, with any mass-produced part. Thanks for the measurements scrappydoo!!

if you bought them new i hope you had them completly gone thru... machined seats guides everything...

i bought my victors with valves and seats installed... bad idea...

you could see light thru the valve seats... and the guides were banana shaped...

-
Back