Edelbrock head ready to run out of the box?

-

roachmech

Reaction score
I just received a new set of edelbrock performer rpm cylinder heads 60779. From Summit.
I should note that there was a lot of metal machining curls in the box and in all of the passages of the heads.
I first put a strait edge on top of the valve stems. they are NOT all the same! 4 are and the other 4 are lower with the lowest .024" below.
I guess this is why edelbrock says you must have adjustable rockers.

IMG_1338.JPG

IMG_1336.JPG

IMG_1337.JPG

I wouldn't run a new head "OOTB". Seen too much, including the EQ heads we bought recently.

When I got mine I took them part as well just to look around and be happy with a clean port. My stem heights were all the same luckily. The valve seat were good to go. Spring heights varied a small minor amount.
They were actually ready to run OOTB.

My machinist found three tight guides on my OOTB Edlebrock heads.

Intake guides were tight on the set I received.

I first put a strait edge on top of the valve stems. they are NOT all the same! 4 are and the other 4 are lower with the lowest .024" below.
I guess this is why edelbrock says you must have adjustable rockers.
That is Speedmaster quality. A set of SM’a I got last year were as bad as what you’ve shown. At least Edelbrock specifically states to use adjustable rockers. Speedmaster iirc makes no mention of that, and as seen on many posts here many are using oem non-adjustable rocker arms on those just bolting down and rolling without doing something about it. Yikes

I bought mine from Bruce Toth and he went through them. The guides were too tight but they did use high quality valves on the ones he got for me. That was a plus. Are they all good valves now days, I don't know...

The pics of the springs look like they are a dual with damper.
The normal spring for the 60779(HFT application) is a single with damper.

I changed the springs.
Pictured are the Comp springs for my cam. I forgot to take that pic first, I also port matched the heads.

My machinist hates Edelbrock. Says he can't count how many times with their OOTB heads that he could see light through the seats with a flash light. 2000.00 for a set of heads and right OOTB have to do a valve job. Thats ridiculous!

We get many heads here from different manufactures. All of them come apart before use . Edelbrock are the worst quality

The valve tip height variance would have drove me nuts, since that's one of my pet peeves. I want them all the same height, adjustable rockers or not. I'm like most everyone else here, and will check any head before using it. They all have their problems. To be honest, the Seedblasters don't really seem to be much, if any worse than Edelbrocks anymore.

-
Back