edelbrock mechanical fuel pump

-

fstfish66

Reaction score
any one here running the BIG eddy mech fuel pump on a small block,,,no in fo on there web site,, some info on summits site,,,i forget think it was 170 GPH,,mechanical,,,wondeing if and clearance issues expensive pump to buy if there are mounting problems,,,

I am running the Carter that claims 172GPH no regulator required is the reason I chose this one. I figured if I was going to go with a regulator than an Electric fuel pump would have been called to duty. I used 2 filters 1 by the tank and one at the fuel rail. Was easy to mount only had to take a little bit off the block nipple for clearance. It uses 10 an inlet and a 8 an outlet. I also used a 1/2 inch pickup at the fuel tank. Here are some pictures.

fuel pump 001.jpg

410 stroker motor 005.jpg

410 stroker motor 002 - Copy.jpg

005.jpg

410 stroker motor 006.jpg

410 stroker motor 004.jpg

410 stroker motor 002.jpg

410 stroker motor 007.jpg

410 stroker motor 001.jpg

fuel pump 001.jpg

410 stroker motor 005.jpg

410 stroker motor 001.jpg

410 stroker motor 002 - Copy.jpg

005.jpg

410 stroker motor 006.jpg

410 stroker motor 004.jpg

410 stroker motor 002.jpg

410 stroker motor 007.jpg

thanks i didnt reaize carter had that big of a mech pump,,,i have been using the carter 120 gph pump for a long time,,,but i have fule pressure problems, at cruising speed with 2 giant 4 bbl carbs,,,do you rememebr wat the cost of that pum was and its out put pressure?? thanks for the reply

thanks i didnt reaize carter had that big of a mech pump,,,i have been using the carter 120 gph pump for a long time,,,but i have fule pressure problems, at cruising speed with 2 giant 4 bbl carbs,,,do you rememebr wat the cost of that pum was and its out put pressure?? thanks for the reply
http://claysmithcams.com/ppf-17mopara-273-360.aspx i'm going to try one of these when I swap out the electric pump on my setup I have never used one but it claim can supply 1300 hp???

any one here running the BIG eddy mech fuel pump on a small block,,,no in fo on there web site,, some info on summits site,,,i forget think it was 170 GPH,,mechanical,,,wondeing if and clearance issues expensive pump to buy if there are mounting problems,,,

How long has this issue been there?

You say your having problems AT CRUISING SPEED? Not wide open throttle?? A fuel pump won't cause that problem unless it has too much pressure and is over riding the needle and seats causing it to flood. If your running out at wide open throttle I'd suspect the pump possibly isn't up to par.

Something else to think of is that no matter what size dual 4 bbl's you have it doesn't take to much to run it at cruising speed.

WELL I havent been at wide opne throttle in a very long time,,,

i have a electric blue holly in the back at the tank when i want to bang a few quick gears,,,

but at interstate cruising say 55 mph,, 33 inch tall tire 4.56 gears 2850 rpm,,the fuel pressure drops off from 6 psi to almost les then 1 psi if i dont keep an eye on it,,,i turn on the electric pump and the pressure comes back up,,,and usually stays for a little bit,,,depends how fast im running,,, i have -8 line feeding the carter mech pump and -6 from the pump to the mallory regulator that is more then capable then suppling a dual quad set up,,,the holy blue regulator is barely good enough for a single carb,,,then -6 to both barbs,,,floats are set perfect,,,
carb are 650s both been reworked to flow 862 cfm,,,

It sounds like the Carter may be worn out but I'll say 1700 cfm+ is alot to feed so it probably isn't up to snuff anyway.

Your right about the Holley regulator they send with their electric pumps being barely adequate for a single carb. I haven't had much luck with them either. I quit using them a couple yrs. back because I only ever got one that worked decent. Not worth the hassle if you ask me.

i never thought about the pump being worn out,,,but if i have to get another one i might as well get the bigger carter,,, carter mech pumps have always been good to me,,,so why not stick with that big one instead of the more expensive eddy mech pump,,,that no one has used,

mopar performance lists a high out put mech pump for the nascar trucks,,,i called on it a few years back,,to there so called tech line,,what a joke,, the guy had no clue what i ws asking,,,GPH and LINE PRESSURE,,he said well maybe around 80GPH,,

I've always had good luck with Carter pumps too but as with everything they wear out too. The only Carter pump I had go bad was acting very similar to what you described, i.e. the pressure dropping at higher speeds, except it wasn't dropping that low. Mine was only dropping to around 3 psi. I figured it was just on it's way out and replaced it so it didn't leave me setting. That fixed the fuel pressure drop. I would definitely get the big pump for what your running.

the more i think about what you said,, it use to drop off to 3 psi,,, now it almost drops off to less then 1 psi,,alot depends on the highway speed and temp out side,,

but i am doing some freshening up over the winter,,and the fuel pump will be one i deffenitly will do,,,not sure il get every thing done i want to,,,a lot depends on my work hours and how cold it is in the garage,,i heat my home with oil,,,,so turning up the heat for the garage isnt cheap,,,,
thanks for the conversation and your input,,

and thanks for the carter part numbers,,better alturnative to the eddy i think,,

yea id go with that carter over the eddy myself since it looks like quite the pump...the clay smith pumps are supposed to be pretty good too, but not sure how many have used them with good results

Good luck getting it all worked out fstfish.

BTW: Did you ever think of getting one of the little propane heaters like the farm supply sells? I bought one a few yrs. back and it's nice and clean burning (I got a CO monitor and it stays low on the readings). Puts out quite a bit of heat too. If it's 20 outside it'll get up to 50 or higher in the garage which is nice working weather IMO.

Good luck getting it all worked out fstfish.

BTW: Did you ever think of getting one of the little propane heaters like the farm supply sells? I bought one a few yrs. back and it's nice and clean burning (I got a CO monitor and it stays low on the readings). Puts out quite a bit of heat too. If it's 20 outside it'll get up to 50 or higher in the garage which is nice working weather IMO.

do you meen a turbo heater? i dont have the room for that blast,,,the CO monitor is a great idea,,,,im afraid of a propane heater with flames like the turbo ones have,,,carbs out of the hood,fuel cell = some fumes,,,

do you meen a turbo heater? i dont have the room for that blast,,,the CO monitor is a great idea,,,,im afraid of a propane heater with flames like the turbo ones have,,,carbs out of the hood,fuel cell = some fumes,,,

No this is a much smaller heater than the jet sounding turbo heaters and it makes very little noise. It does have an open flame but it doesn't shoot out like the turbo blast ones. Still if you have much fuel present it probably wouldn't be a good idea. The only type of heater I can think of that doesn't have an open flame would be a electric radiant heater. They work ok if you put a small fan behind them to distribute the heat. I have one that gets pretty hot right by it but without a fan it's useless. Can't feel the heat 10 feet away. Actually none of them do great without forced air. I have an old ceiling fan I use to force the heat down cause the trusses are open and it helps alot.

i have a small electric witha fan,,it may help ill have to try it,,also have a ceiling fan and i set it on low when i turn the heat up to move it around

I am running the Carter that claims 172GPH no regulator required is the reason I chose this one. I figured if I was going to go with a regulator than an Electric fuel pump would have been called to duty. I used 2 filters 1 by the tank and one at the fuel rail. Was easy to mount only had to take a little bit off the block nipple for clearance. It uses 10 an inlet and a 8 an outlet. I also used a 1/2 inch pickup at the fuel tank. Here are some pictures.

View attachment 117229

View attachment 117230

View attachment 117232

View attachment 117233

View attachment 117234

View attachment 117235

View attachment 117236

View attachment 117237

View attachment 117231
Does this pump have 1/2 NPT for those fittings?? Most all Chrysler pumps ive seen have wimpy 1/4 NPT, fords and chevys HP pumps will have the 1/2 NPT,

Does this pump have 1/2 NPT for those fittings?? Most all Chrysler pumps ive seen have wimpy 1/4 NPT, fords and chevys HP pumps will have the 1/2 NPT,

No there is a 10 an inlet and a 8 an outlet. At the pump with the fittings off the inlet size is around 5/8 of an inch an the outlet is around 1/2 inch. I am sure you could change out the fittings with whatever you want or adapt them to whatever..........

Nothing Wimpy about the inlets or outlets on this pump!!!

Thats cool, i searched high and low for mechanical pumps and all had 1/4NPT and C&S specialties was the only place that i could find that offered a true high flowing mech.pump but it was with a hefty price of over 250$$, i had a friend that took a chevy 6 valve edelbrock pump and cut the arm off and rewelded a mopar pump arm to it for alcohol motor and worked great and only cost him under 100$$

Thats cool, i searched high and low for mechanical pumps and all had 1/4NPT and C&S specialties was the only place that i could find that offered a true high flowing mech.pump but it was with a hefty price of over 250$$, i had a friend that took a chevy 6 valve edelbrock pump and cut the arm off and rewelded a mopar pump arm to it for alcohol motor and worked great and only cost him under 100$$

Dang I would have never thought of that......The Carter pump is around 165.00 or so not bad!

i have a small electric witha fan,,it may help ill have to try it,,also have a ceiling fan and i set it on low when i turn the heat up to move it around

If it's forced air it'll definitely help. i also have one of those little wimpy electric forced air heaters I Keep right by me when it's real cold. It makes a difference. I need to insulate the garage better and then I wouldn't have to have it.

i was looking for a cheap eddy or what ever high flow at the swap meets chevy pump,,,because the chevy and mopar mech pumps are the same bolt pattern,,, i was goign to try to adapt the mopar arm to the chevy high flow,,,but then i had seen an add in a mopar magazine for the eddy high flow,,,but i didnt like the price,, and eddys web site is a joke,,,never got a reply from them,,so i figured why bother,,,

then i seen an add for this super mech pump with an fittings and adjustable from 22 hp to 2500 hp 450 GPH,,, well over 400 bucks,,ouch racepumps.com if any want to take a peek at it,,,,

im going to get the carter pump we are all talking about here,,and adapt it down to -8 in let,,ill do it over the winter after i get some other things done,, ill post pics when i do,,,,thanks for all the input guys,,,

-
Back