Edelbrock red fuel pump shutting off

-

Byron Gray

Reaction score
My fuel pump has shut off on me a couple times after sitting and idling at a cruise for 20 minutes or longer. When trying to re fire the car it dosent come on and my regulator reads zero. Pump dosen't feel hot to the touch I'm running at about 4 psi on a stock 360 with a 650 cfm carb. And ideas or known issues with this pump?

Byron, are you talkin about this?
I'm not knockin your pump choice, but there are tons better pumps on the market, up to and including a stone stock replacement mechanical pump. Those Edelbrock pumps are really just designed to be shiny trinkets to hang in parts stores to "look cool". How close to the tank do you have it mounted?

I have a fuel cell and it sits in the trunk the pump sits under the car so it's its gravity fed from the tank.

I have a fuel cell and it sits in the trunk the pump sits under the car so it's its gravity fed from the tank.
Well that's sure the way to do it! I would check all the power and ground connections real good. When I worked at O'Reilly, I sold FOUR of those in a row before I finally talked the guy into a stock mechanical pump and I never saw him again for a fuel pump issue.

I will have to double check but i haven't had this issue untill I just put in a bigger electric fan that I can sit in traffic longer without over heating so fix one thing and a new issure shows up.

I will have to double check but i haven't had this issue untill I just put in a bigger electric fan that I can sit in traffic longer without over heating so fix one thing and a new issure shows up.
Did you run the pump through a relay?

I still run the old Holley electric pumps, they deliver enough fuel for me and work pretty well until they get too many hours on them and then usually the brushes get worn, and then I change them.

where is the bigger fan you installed wired in the system? does the fan run on its own circuit?

You can fix the Edel pump by replacing it with a Carter #4594. They last forever....one of the reasons being no internal seals to leak & cause failure.

You can fix the Edel pump by replacing it with a Carter #4594. They last forever....one of the reasons being no internal seals to leak & cause failure.
Those are some dang good pumps.

I know of one that was on a daily driver for 19 yrs. It got replaced with a new one. Not because it failed....but because the owner felt it had 'earned' it's retirement!

Pump is on its own circuit with a fuse and relay and fan is on its own as well fuel pump is wired to its own on off switch and my fan is on when the key is on. Fuel cell is vented as well

Byron, I think either your pump motor is breaking down somehow, OR as I said earlier, you have a power or ground connection that's not so good. I'd be looking at that very closely. If all the connections look good, I think the motor is the culprit. Good luck with it and keep us posted.

Did you select the Eddie red cause it is quiet? If so, it's real quiet when it quits running.
I concur with the Carter recommendation. Enough pump for your needs.
It sounds to me like you have done all your plumbing and wiring right, so I'm guessing your pump is done.

-
Back