Edelbrock TM-5 tarantula???

-

'teen machine

Reaction score
Hello is an Eddy TM-5 tarantula intake very rare? The torker 340 was supposed to replaced it and its not a very good intake bellow 3000 rpm. So is the TM-5 worse? About what time period were they built?

Thanks

From a performance perspective these manifolds do not measure up to other manifolds like the LD340 from the same time period or newer manifolds like the Performer RPM. I do not believe these old manifolds are rare.

Did they make a TM5 for the small block? All I've ever seen were for big blocks.

Cool. Thanks Scott. I never knew they made one for the little motors.

I have a Torker 340 on my 340. The motor seems to run out of steam at 6200-6300. Would a RPM air gap do any better? I think the Holley DP is an 850. And yes, with that manifold and the big cam the motor doesn't really wake up until around 2500-3000.

As I am kicking around the idea of building a 408/416 from an old 360 block I have maybe getting the RPM now (to be used on the stroker build) would be a good idea.

From a performance perspective these manifolds do not measure up to other manifolds like the LD340 from the same time period or newer manifolds like the Performer RPM. I do not believe these old manifolds are rare.

I have the original article from I think Car Craft. Manifold came out in 1971. And in all of Edelbrocks dyno testing it out performs the LD-340 in every respect. And they did a lot of testing! They made the original one out of fiber glass so they could tweak it between each dyno run! For the day it was about as high tec as it gets. I picked one up yesterday at the Nats for $60 and plan on running it on my 65 dart. As I want that vintage drag car look. Only other real option I had was a new Ofenhauser intake but $350 is rather hard to swallow. Only saw two at the swap meet. Not rare, but harder to find than the newer ones.

I have a Torker 340 on my 340. The motor seems to run out of steam at 6200-6300. Would a RPM air gap do any better? I think the Holley DP is an 850. And yes, with that manifold and the big cam the motor doesn't really wake up until around 2500-3000.

No, reason being, the engine is running out of steam due to the camshaft. The intake is free flowing enuff to go higher.

As I am kicking around the idea of building a 408/416 from an old 360 block I have maybe getting the RPM now (to be used on the stroker build) would be a good idea.

I agree. It is a much better intake than anything older. Edelbrock discontinued it for a reason.

Yeah poor sales.

I got an old eddy dual carb intake, works awesome. Eddy still makes them for Chevy's, Ford's and BBM, for the SBM it likely was lack of sales Eddy stop selling them, not cause the intake isn't too good.

I compared both the old Torker and the TM-5 intakes, they are the same expect the the ports are larger up and down on the TM-5, the width of the ports are the same.

An old hot rod tip sheet from the 70's said for the street use the torker, for the strip use the TM-5

-
Back