edelbrock won't seal on 318

-

kobra50

Reaction score
I have an edelbrock intake on the 318. Replaced the gaskets times. Last time I used Edebrock gaskets with RTV instead of cork end seals. I still have water weeping around the bolt holes on the intake. Yes, the dowel pins are out. No the motor has not been started.

Throw the end gaskets away. Use red or black silicone put it on heavy, put some also on your bolts, it will seal.

Trash the end seals and use red or black silicone as mentioned. My Edelbrock Performer RPM sealed right up on my 318.

How are you tighening the intake down?
Start in the middle and work your way out.
Use this gasket on a 318.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fel-1243/overview/

Use copper spray on the gasket surfaces, good thick 1/4" bead of permatex black on the end seals, let everything sit for about 15-20 minuates.

Make damn sure you set the intake on square, and use teflon paste on the threads.

Let it sit 24 hrs after you torque it down before adding antifreeze.

It looks like the intake is not setting down far enough between the heads. The gap on the ends is very wide. Would using the stamped metal gasket help this and could it lead to other problems due to the aluminum vs iron intake

I wonder if the heads have been milled? If they have you might have to have the intake milled to match. Maybe the manifold wasn't fully machined correctly from Eddy.

I wonder if the heads have been milled? If they have you might have to have the intake milled to match. Maybe the manifold wasn't fully machined correctly from Eddy.

That's what it sounds like to me too.

How are you tighening the intake down?
Start in the middle and work your way out.
Use this gasket on a 318.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fel-1243/overview/

Use copper spray on the gasket surfaces, good thick 1/4" bead of permatex black on the end seals, let everything sit for about 15-20 minuates.

Make damn sure you set the intake on square, and use teflon paste on the threads.

Let it sit 24 hrs after you torque it down before adding antifreeze.
Thats what i used with some RTV around the bolt holes & RTV on the ends and it bloody sealed that well i needed to use a decent pipe as a breaker bar to break the seal.Also check the mating surfaces on your manifold (water jackets) that they are not corroded and havent got much surface area to seal.

Make sure surfaces are clean and true. Try FelPro 1213 intake gasket. Most recommended dumping ends and using red RTV. Keep RTV off threads and bolt holes. A re-build gasket kit intake gasket will not work with the Edelbrock 2176.

On the ends I like to pile up a nice high quarter inch or better bead of "right stuff" gasket maker. You do know that rtv takes 24 hours to set ??. I have not had any problems with the eddy gaskets. Thread sealant on the bolts that go into the water passages.
Dry fit your intake to see how big the gap is. Just so you know

I like using the foam end gaskets, but I take a solid film of black RTV on all sides of the gasket, including the inside, and put an extra bit under the right front corner, by the dipstick tube end, where the manifold hangs off. Sets up quicker with the foam gasket. Don't use cork. It can crack aluminum under full torque.

-
Back