Eek! Sight Unseen Dart...

-

Aaron65

Reaction score
My high bid on a Dart wagon went through on ebay! Luckily I didn't pay a ton, because I've never bought a car sight unseen (I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot now, if it wasn't starkly plain before).

This thing will be showing up on the car hauler sometime this coming week (hopefully), and I'm excited to get it and evaluate what I want to do to it. I'll probably do a quick paint job on it next summer if it's roughly in the condition the pictures and description of it proposed.

In the meantime, could anyone recommend the best places to find parts for this thing? I understand that wagon specific parts will be tough to come across, but I'd like to get the lay of the land. Glad to be here!
1965Dart_zps272a7ad6.jpg

Welcome to FABO. Your 65 wagon looks pretty darned nice! Looks like a fun car. Throw on a set of rally wheels and cruise. toolmanmike

Welcome to the best Mopar site on the interweb!!!! I would love to find a solid early a-body wagon like that, looks like a nice score too. I bought a 73 Fury wagon on eBay and flew out to drive it home, it was a rock solid car and I got a great deal! I am sure you are nervous but don't sweat it too much, that Dart wagon looks pretty clean. Got any more pictures of it?

Yes, the early wagon parts can be pretty tough to find but there are many people here with them and many parts for sale. One guy just parted out a 65 Dart wagon and it was in good shape with lots of great parts. There is also a member that goes by "70dartmike" who has some wagon parts for sale, I will see if I can find the thread.

Good luck and hope you enjoy it here! BTW, this is a Mopar site but we like all old cars so let's see some pics of your other rides :glasses7:

Im assuming its not the one in this picture.???

I did this 3 times my self they were great 2 times

One car was 65 belveder wagoon poly 318 with air 9 passenger as described

Next was 92 Spirit RT If i could have sent a drone to kill him he would be dead.

A glutton for punishment 3rd car Spirit RT better than described wish this was second car and I would have a perfect record on buying sight unseen.

Good luck to U its a real crap shoot.

Hope what shows up is not crap.

Looks like a pretty clean car!! You should do alright with it, and most all of the mechanical items are interchangeable with other A bodies!!

Welcome to FABO, and enjoy your new ride!! Geof

The clear's peeling on the hood, and it's certainly going to need a front bumper (it's tweaked). It'll probably need carpet, and it's got some dodgy patches in the quarters. The undercarriage looks pretty solid; I may have to weld in a small floor patch or two. Apparently it runs and drives great, so I'm hoping I can get away without too many mechanical problems for awhile...time will tell. I don't mind saying that I got it for $1500 (shipping was almost two-thirds as much as that!). So, if it's junk, at least the bank's not broken.

Here are my other beaters... :)

Corvair8-11011.jpg

LakeMichigan2010002.jpg

020_20.jpg

8-20-13001_zps368ef652.jpg

You have a very nice collection. I especially like the Buick's. My brother-in-law had a 65 Skylark convert. Red with white top and gut. Very sharp car. Looking to find it back. tmm

Im assuming its not the one in this picture.???

I did this 3 times my self they were great 2 times

One car was 65 belveder wagoon poly 318 with air 9 passenger as described

Next was 92 Spirit RT If i could have sent a drone to kill him he would be dead.

A glutton for punishment 3rd car Spirit RT better than described wish this was second car and I would have a perfect record on buying sight unseen.

Good luck to U its a real crap shoot.

Hope what shows up is not crap.

Yes, it is the one in this picture and here is the eBay auction link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-DODGE-...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Welcome aboard :cheers: The wagon looks very complete of the very hard to find parts that are allready on it =D>
And the price is great :cheers: Looking forward to your restoration thread :coffee2:

Is there a parts distributor that you all use for basic stuff like weatherstripping, etc.? For example, I get my Corvair stuff from Clark's Corvair in Massachusetts, my Mustang parts from NPD, my Buick parts from Bob's in California...any good suppliers for Dart stuff in general?

I see from the ebay ad you bought it from Wildcat Auto Wrecking. They are a Mopar-only auto wrecker in Sandy Oregon. I think if it was very far gone, they'd have probably parted out themselves. I bought a few things from them back when I had my '65 Valiant convertible...good to deal with. While I was there picking up my stuff, I toured the yard...I was like a kid in a candy store!

Cool find on that wagon! BTW, have you checked out CorvairForum.com? I'm on there with my '65 Corsa turbo.

Is there a parts distributor that you all use for basic stuff like weatherstripping, etc.? For example, I get my Corvair stuff from Clark's Corvair in Massachusetts, my Mustang parts from NPD, my Buick parts from Bob's in California...any good suppliers for Dart stuff in general?

I've bought weather stripping for my car at Metro. I'm sure they'd have it for the Dart. http://www.metrommp.com/index.cfm

There might be other places as well.

And welcome to FABO!

Cool find on that wagon! BTW, have you checked out CorvairForum.com? I'm on there with my '65 Corsa turbo.

I have been on corvaircenter.com since I bought my Corvair back in 2007. I think I've been on corvairforum.com once or twice, but certainly not regularly. The turbo sounds fun! It's kind of the holy grail of Corvairs in a way (not counting Yenkos). I've done a ton of rust repair on mine; I even got into the rockers. The way I look at it...I paid more for the Corvair, saw it before I bought it, and it was still a money pit/pile of junk. :)

Here's just one thread of work I've done...I've also done the floors and lower quarters.

http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.php?1,419539,page=1

Welcome!
That wagon looks great!
Love your other cars - I had a '69 Corvair convertible, yours looks pretty nice.
Clark's was a one stop shopping for the 'vairs but it takes a bit more looking around for the early A's.

The wagon showed up yesterday! I haven't had any time to mess with it yet because of work...I haven't even started it! It doesn't look like there are any big overt surprises I didn't expect, but I'm sure it'll keep my on my toes.

My Dad did come down and check the antifreeze, and it's only at +20, so I'm going to have to drain the radiator and hit it with straight antifreeze tomorrow, because this weekend's getting cold in Michigan.

11-20-13004a_zps69369848.jpg

Wow.....a little strippo 170/3-on-the-tree with factory A/C! That's one you wouldn't expect.

I think you got a decent deal, for sure.

Wow did you bring back memories! My grandfather drove a Dart wagon exactly like that car, 170, 3 on the tree, even was the exact same color! Took many rides in that thing in my youth.

He later traded it in for a new 77 Monaco, first Automatic Trans car he ever owned, he took my grandmother, and brother and I for a ride in it the day he bought it, we were coming down a ramp onto the freeway and he goosed it to get up to speed to merge in, the trans kicked down into 1st gear and when the engine got wound up he figured it was time to shift, he grabbed the shifter with the right hand and his left foot went straight down on the brake pedal and immediately launched my brother and I straight into the back of the front seats! My poor grandmother darn near smacked her head on the dash and then proceeded to yelling at him!

Ahh the memories :)

-
Back