effects of relocating leaf springs?

-

trbodrt

Reaction score
I'm trying to set my 72 dart up to handle well on the street and was wondering if relocating the leaf springs to the frame rails would have a negative effect on this. Would it be better to leave them in the stock location and deal with the tire that I can fit in there, honestly the only reason i would want a bigger tire in the back is because I think it looks cool but if it is going to greatly compromise handling I will leave it alone. What do you guys think?

The wider the spring locations the better the handling. As far as being able to tell by the seat of the pants, probably not. But it may show a difference in a timed race event for competition.
I am moving my springs into the framerails for pretty much the same reason you are... cuz it looks cool.

Unless its going to be a timed race competitor I doubt you would notice. On the other hand, doing the offset spring hanger mod offered by dr diff would probably get you more than enough tire width to be competitive without moving the springs the full 3". Plus, I think to really take advantage of a 3" relocation you'd have to mini tub. The offset spring hanger kit pretty much let's you use all of the wheel well.

I think i'd be pretty happy with 275's in the rear, with the offset shackle kit is this possible with the right wheel offset.

You can offset the results of spring relocation somewhat by using a stiff rear sway bar, but as said above, the closer the two springs are to center, the more she will roll

Don't forget, it may mess with your exhaust.

biggest effect is being able to run some steam rollers out back....LOL
without sway bars and with some soft wrinkle walls the body roll was pretty bad on my
old Dart.
thats why i didnt move them on the Valiant

I think i'm probably just going to use the offset shackle kit and try to fit some 275's out back. Can you fit 275's on a 72 dart, and if so what kind of wheel back spacing is needed

I have my spings relocated in about an inch and I am running 15X8 Cragar SS with a 5 3/8's" offset and I was able to barely squeeze 275 60 15's in the back.

On a '72 Dart I think 275's are going to be as big as you can get with the stock wheel well. I tried test fitting the 275/40/17's I have on my Challenger on the back of my '71 Dart, and found that they won't fit without offset hanger/shackle set up. They have a 5" backspace, which put them into the fender lip, but I only had another 1/4" to 3/8" to the springs. My car does have 11x2.5" rear drums, so the rear drums on my car probably sit about a 1/4 to 3/8" farther out.

I'd say 5 3/8" to 5.5" will be what you need to run for backspace with a stock A body 8 3/4. If you go with Dr Diff's 3/4" offset kit, you should be able to run 5.5" of backspace, which should give you enough clearance on the quarters and the springs. I'd rather be closer to the springs than the quarters, and too much backspace can be corrected with a small spacer if need be.

Putting a larger tire on the rear than the front will affect handling, it will make the car understeer (plow). Moving the springs inboard will increase the rear to roll over making the car understeer (plow).

The AAR Cuda and T/A Challenger (larger rear than front tires) got around that issue to a certain degree by using a rear stabilizer bar. The problem with using a rear bar with relocated springs is that all (that I know of) rear bars are designed for the stock spring locations.

The A58 Dart cop car package had a rear bar (good luck finding one) that will only work with the rear springs in the stock location. The bar was mounted to the body and the ends of the bar connected to links secured by the rear spring clips.

...The problem with using a rear bar with relocated springs is that all (that I know of) rear bars are designed for the stock spring locations.

E-body sway bar willl mount on the inside of the frame rails on an A-Body,
I am not saying, I'm just saying.

I've never measured the exact layout on an A body, but I can say that on my E body, a 1" relocate was approximately a 10# difference in wheel rate. 3" relocate would be about 30# difference. This is per side, not combined.

Most coil springs are offered in 50# increments, so a 10# difference is not going to be felt. Unless you are really in tune with the charateritics ofyour car, ie you can feel the difference half a tank of gas makes, odds are you won't notice a 30# difference either.

-
Back