EFI 5.7 swap questions

-

zac_F71

Reaction score
Ok I am planning a 2007 5.7 hemi swap in my Demon and wondering if I have everything? Planning to buy a lower mile motor so I don't have to replace any of the wear items such as bearings, timing chain, oil/water pump..

Plan to run EFI using a stock SRT8 manifold - need to find out the TB spacing so I can price a TB Are all hemi's drive by wire? As in I will need a TB and a electronic pedal? and do i need spacers to go from the 5.7 to the SRT8 intake?

Lokar throttle cable
Milodon swap pan + pickup
Milodon oil pan gasket (1 not sure if I need 2)
Milodon oil pan bolt kit
TTi swap mounts
OEM puck style motor mounts
16 NGK V power plugs
MSD 6hemi controller
Which harnesses do I need for the controller??? - do I need any factory wiring?
Felpro exhaust gaskets
Mopar intake gaskets (1pr)
ATI sfi flex plate
180* Tstat

Fuel pump will be a Aeromotive A1000.. as I will be turbo'ing the motor with flipping the stock truck manifolds or buy shorty headers for a truck

Yes, you do need a harness for the MSD controller. Contact MSD to get the correct harness for your year motor. BUT!!!!!!!!!!

You also need something to control the fuel. I might suggest you return your MSD and either get a standalone computer like Megasquirt, FAST, or AEM. Or run the factory computer with a modified wiring harness. If you go with the standalone system you'll need a cable operated throttle body. If you use the factory computer you will use the stock drive by wire throttle body. In this case you will also need a factory gas pedal.

You will also need to update your fuel system. Including filter, regulator, and pump. You can either go intank or external.

You will also need a remote oil filter kit, as the stock filter will hit your K-member.

You will also need exhaust manifolds of some sort. For a 5.7L motor you can either use Jeep Cherokee manifolds (NOT SRT-8 Manifolds, these can be made to work with an Alter-K-Tion but they won't work with a factory K-member) Truck manifolds will not work, they exit nearly straight back into the firewall of an A-Body.

This is very brief, but a start.

Read some build threads.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Thanks man! I haven't bough anything yet - need to sell off my big block parts to buy a motor, then worry about the swap parts.

I was talking with one of the guys at SharaDon Performance about their 5.7 swap in a Mitsu Conquest - like you said -

FAST EFI - no MSD period
SRT8 intake
drive by cable TB, assume a lokar throttle cable with a custom bracket
trans will be a A727 using the ATI flex plate (probably sell my lokar kick down cable for a manual valve body to save the TV cable)
and sadly if I can't find any premade truck/car short tube headers to use (flipped forward) for a turbo I'll have to make some Like SharaDons did..
Aeromotive A1000 external fuel pump, return style regulator, using the stock A body tank/ line (all 3/8") to keep the stock fuel gauge
Remote oil filter kit
Plus the obvious swap parts- oil pan, mounts, and other stuff..

FTR, if you're planning to boost this thing anyways, I would plan your build that way from the get-go. No point in dropping $ on custom headers, for instance, to then be turning around later and starting again. There're some great turbo builds here already to get you started!

I didnt read all the posts, but heres a bit of info...

yes you will have to have spacers for the 5.7-6.1 manifold, a few places have them... I have the FAST XFI stuff on my swap and am very happy, they make a cable TB for the Hemi now, instead of the LSX TB and adapter I have... really slick (but it is a few mm smaller). It comes with the "hemi kit". I had a custom bracket made for mine with a lokar cable, but check realwing's SRT8 cuda thread, it has a good simple bracket for the srt8 manifold. My bracket also operates the kickdown cable, I just had to put a closer hole in the bracket at the trans to match the pull at the TB.

Good luck in your header/mainfold search... but a turbo would be sweet...

JOE

Attachments

• IMG_1629.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 341
http://www.fuelairspark.com/fas/efi...stems/crate-transplant-engine-management-kits

Here's a link to their kits for transplant. There are separate kits for the 5.7 and 6.1. My 5.7 has the 6.1 kit because I was told that the 5.7 kit is based on the early coil packs, not the later ones... When I bought mine they came without any tune at all, so which kit didn't otherwise matter. I think that may have changed but I'm not sure...

Joe

Holley hp efi no msd needed either. Comes with plug n play as well. I have one in my closet for my dart swap. Complete programmable etc...

I didnt read all the posts, but heres a bit of info...

I had a custom bracket made for mine with a lokar cable, but check realwing's SRT8 cuda thread, it has a good simple bracket for the srt8 manifold.
JOE

I've just made a new bracket because I decided to add cruise control (Dakota Digital), so I needed space for the throttle cable and the cruise cable.

Attachments

• IMG_2768.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_2769.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_2774.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 291
I was just gonna buy one of the universal fast kits ($1500) and a TB off ebay, guess not LOL - comes with a nice TB though

Joeboy,

Nice bracket. Got anymore pics?

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Joe here is a few more pics... The vertical piece is the part I had made, the posts are lokar pieces, I believe LT1 parts. I actually wanted it a bit shorter, but to get the correct approach angke the extra height was necessary due to the manifold. The bracket that realwing made for his wouldnt work on my 5.7 manifold due to the EGR valve (or blockoff).

I intended to just use the top post for both throttle and kickdown, but quickly realize the pull was wrong. The pull/mount for the kickdown needs to be on the same side of the pivot point (top/bottom) as the TB attachment. So I added the lower post to get the right angles, it's about as close to the manifold as I could get.

Attachments

• 14.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 269
  • 15.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 229
  • 12.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 246
Thanks for the pics, joeboy.

I've been trying to figure out how I am going to make a throttle bracket for my 6.1L yours looks pretty sweet. Mine is actually simpler since I'm running a 4-speed.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Joe

Double check to make sure the throttle opens full when the accelerator pedal is to the floor. I used the stock pedal and it would not open the throttle all the way when I ran the cable over the cam like you did. I had to connect to the pivot on a shorter radius to get full stroke.
Jim

Joe

Double check to make sure the throttle opens full when the accelerator pedal is to the floor. I used the stock pedal and it would not open the throttle all the way when I ran the cable over the cam like you did. I had to connect to the pivot on a shorter radius to get full stroke.
Jim

Thanks Jim, great point.

That's something I should have mentioned, I also had trouble achieving WOT initially. So I did a bit of trimming to the throttle pedal, (the side of the arm where the cable attaches) to change the overall travel of the pedal by about 1/2" and achieve WOT. I don't have any PICs of that, but Im sure I could snap one or two if desired by someone..

Joe

-
Back