Egads, no power.....

-

grassy

Reaction score
My wiring under the bonnet is 90% done...the only hurdle now is to figure out what wires to cut and join because I bought a internally ballasted coil so I wouldn't have to deal with the ballast anymore..

Any hints on this wire surgery would be gratefully appreciated...

Installed my new instrument cluster. Left the light switch and wiper switch intact so I only removed the original gauges out of the equation...

Tonight I went out to find a switched power supply with my circuit tester and to find which colour wire I need to tap into to run a wire from the dome light wire in the left, rear of the car.

So I moved the key to the accessory mode and turned the dome light on..nothing...so I moved the key to "on" w/o engaging the starter..nothing..so I tried to spin the starter..nothing. Wipers wouldn't work either...

The battery is new.

The only connection in the engine bay that i didn't connect was the "Dash and instrument panel connection" which I couldn't find a mate to the odd shaped connection. I also didn't think it was necessary because I replaced most of everything and had kept the two major controls...

What am I missing ?

Thanks, as always..

There should have been 2 large wires on the ALT' gauge with ring terminals, a red and a black. All power inside the cabin goes through that gauge. If the gauge is gone, bolt the 2 wires together ( black is the ground side of the circuit, not chassis ground ).

Redfish,

I wasn't sure what they so I cut off the ends just in case they could have been live...

So all I need to is is just connect them ? I would never have thought to put a power with a ground before.

Thanks
ian.

Oh, do they come through the firewall...I was think that I could keep the gauge cluster in and connect them somewhere under the dash.

Thanks

Yes the come through the firewall. One of them has or had a fusible link and service disconnect in line just outside the bulkhead connector.

Thanks. I will be fixing this today. I appreciate your help.

Ian.

Are you getting close yet? Also who gets to take the first drive in this family project?

-
Back