EGR bypass?

-

73Charger318

Member Rt 66 Mopar Club
Reaction score
So my 73 currently has EGR, which leads me to the Edelbrock 1400 carb to sit on the new Edelbrock 3776 intake. I'm concerned with this "fuel economy" carb, especially it only having timed vacuum. I've been told full vacuum is recommended for the ignition advance. So if I just bought a 2176 non EGR intake and the 1406 carb what changes would I need to make to bypass the EGR system? Would it be better to go ahead and get the 3776 EGR intake and just use a block off plate on the EGR? That way you could always go back to the EGR if you needed too without changing the intake I guess.

I live in Missouri so don't have any smog inspections.

Thanks
Alan

I would not use manifold vacuum on the distributor on a street driven car. I think you will have better performance and economy from the timed port. If you get a non EGR intake, no changes are really necessary. Just throw the EGR valve in the ditch.

BUT, on a mild street driven engine, the EGR can have some benefit.

I also, don't "go" for full vacuum advance. But some do. The thing is, this requires a different curve in the distributor to do it right.

So far as EGR, don't overthink. You got rid of it, "stay rid" lol.

I concur with the fellas.
Once the 4bbl goes on,You will likely be driving it differently, and you will likely drive it less and less in the zone where EGR can be a benefit.
If you up the cam, it will do the EGR thing by itself.
If you up the compression, you won't want EGR in any case.
When things get hot,or the fuel gets stale, EGR can cause problems anyway.There is really no place in a performance engine for a factory EGR system.

On the other hand, if the rest of the engine is stock, and is to remain so, and you spend a lot of time at part throttle and cruizing,AND you have not yet bought a carb and manifold; well then I think I would try to keep it functional, as it can improve low speed-low throttle performance. But it has to be running tip-top.
And/But, I certainly wouldn't replace an already purchased non-EGR pkg.

I concur with the fellas.
Once the 4bbl goes on,You will likely be driving it differently, and you will likely drive it less and less in the zone where EGR can be a benefit.
If you up the cam, it will do the EGR thing by itself.
If you up the compression, you won't want EGR in any case.
When things get hot,or the fuel gets stale, EGR can cause problems anyway.There is really no place in a performance engine for a factory EGR system.

On the other hand, if the rest of the engine is stock, and is to remain so, and you spend a lot of time at part throttle and cruizing,AND you have not yet bought a carb and manifold; well then I think I would try to keep it functional, as it can improve low speed-low throttle performance. But it has to be running tip-top.
And/But, I certainly wouldn't replace an already purchased non-EGR pkg.

Thanks for all the advice. I haven't purchased anything yet, but ready to. Just trying to decide if I purchase the EGR intake and the 1400, or the non EGR intake and the 1406. I hear many good things about the 1406 carb, but never anything about the 1400. Maybe it's just not near as commonly used. I would save about $60 on the pair going non EGR intake and the 1406, but at this point doing it right is more important than $60.

I will be upping the cam, nothing to aggressive though. Either a 256/268, lift .447/.455 - Comp cams CCA-20-221-3 or a 262/270, Lift .462/.470. CCA-20-222-3. Plan on an Edelbrock 1720 fuel pump also. Looking at maybe a higher stall converter, possible headers and H pipe, (car has dual now but separate pipes coming off stock manifolds), and eventually 3.55 ratio gears. But one step at a time!! My pocket book has limits.

by the non egr and don't look back!

LOL, Sounds like solid advice Cudafever! I'm thinking the same, but might get the EGR intake and just use a block off plate. That way if someday someone wants to hook it back up someday they can just remove the plate, change the carb, and be happy.. if EGR makes them happy.

LOL, Sounds like solid advice Cudafever! I'm thinking the same, but might get the EGR intake and just use a block off plate. That way if someday someone wants to hook it back up someday they can just remove the plate, change the carb, and be happy.. if EGR makes them happy.

If you buy the EGR manifold, you will want to plug the passage at the head so the carb runs cooler.
If you are gonna run headers, then for sure I would buy the non-EGR intake, or for sure block the passage.The headers will not work correctly at the center 4 ports,if the passage is open.Some guys have had trouble getting that port to stay blocked.

The EGR signal port can be added to the carb at any time.It's just a venturi vacuum port. It might not end up as pretty as the factory install, tho.

I say let the next guy worry about EGR.

If you buy the EGR manifold, you will want to plug the passage at the head so the carb runs cooler.
If you are gonna run headers, then for sure I would buy the non-EGR intake, or for sure block the passage.The headers will not work correctly at the center 4 ports,if the passage is open.Some guys have had trouble getting that port to stay blocked.

The EGR signal port can be added to the carb at any time.It's just a venturi vacuum port. It might not end up as pretty as the factory install, tho.

I say let the next guy worry about EGR.

Great advice. So if I get the non EGR intake I don't have to worry about plugging this passage? I think just letting the next guy worry about it is good advice. I don't plan on selling this car anyway but I guess everything is for sale if the money is right. Thanks!

I'd buy a manifold with the crossover non-existant. Nobody wants carb heat on a performance car, especially with oxiginated gas.Unless maybe you want to drive it in freezing weather.But that's not a very good idea.

I'd buy a manifold with the crossover non-existant. Nobody wants carb heat on a performance car, especially with oxiginated gas.Unless maybe you want to drive it in freezing weather.But that's not a very good idea.

Not sure what type of manifold that would be. I've heard of people blocking off the crossover. As for freezing weather the car is in the garage most likely!

Not sure what type of manifold that would be. I've heard of people blocking off the crossover. As for freezing weather the car is in the garage most likely!

Non-existent is same as "not for pollution controlled vehicles". Most performance aluminum intakes, do not have this passage, and the gasket face is cast without the port, thereby blocking the exhaust at the head. It works great. Some intakes have an alternate part number,"with EGR". I would pass on those.At your power level, and intended useage, I would leave the head alone; it will be fine. That area will just become a stagnant area.

Eliminate the EGR! There is zero benefit to introducing non combustible gases into an engine, performance wise, at any RPM.
It's original intention on the engine was to reintroduce exhaust gases into the combustion chamber to reduce Oxides of Nitrogen(NOx). Carburetors were calibrated leaner because of the EGR so the problem back in the day was if you blocked it off or it stopped working(clogged, bad EGR Valve etc.) and you didn't address the carb's jetting etc. it would ping it's *** off because it was so lean.

-
Back