ELEC. FUEL PUMP NOISE

-

WAYNE0

Reaction score
I installed a holley electric fuel pump on my barracuda. I mounted it on the inside of the rt frame rail just behind the wheel well. It is very noisy. It feels like its vibrating the whole rt side. Is there any thing i can do to quite it down ? I have other electric fuel pumps to try if need be. Maybe they will be the same. The pump i have on it now is the blue holley pump.

wrap it in a pool noodle and hang it like a ball sack. That's How Mercedes did it. Also use rubber hoses on both sides. See how this is suspended?
1666146146948.png

Putting rubber washers between the pump and frame helped quiet mine some.

Not quiet enough for my autistic grandson so I'm going to add a cam snout extension and go back to a mechanical pump this winter.

Should have got the Carter 4594. Quieter, cheaper & lasts forever.....
I have my Carter 4600 [ higher output version of the 4594 ] mounted behind the driver's side rear wheel....& I cannot hear it. I suspect the wheel blocks a lot of the noise, but the Carters come with a good multi-fit rubber mounting that helps isolate noise transfer.

Rubber isolate the mounting plate from the frame, and the pump from the mounting plate.
Also, gerotor pumps (like a big block oil pump) are usually quieter than vane pumps, which your blue is.
And agree, the Carter will be quieter than the blue, and probably last longer.
Edit :isolation mounts are probably available from mcmaster-carr or grainger...... or you could use a piece of old inner tube, lol.

Last edited:
I cut a piece of tire sidewall and mounted it between the frame rail and pump on one that was noisy for me once. It helped a lot. The key seemed to be not to over tighten the retaining bolts.

Rubber isolate the mounting plate from the frame, and the pump from the mounting plate.
Also, gerotor pumps (like a big block oil pump) are usually quieter than vane pumps, which your blue is.
Yeah them red and blue pumps have always been noisy, but they'll move some gas.

Yeah them red and blue pumps have always been noisy, but they'll move some gas.
Had a 150 Paxton on my Plymouth, but it continuously lost prime if the car sat for a while, replaced with a trickflow 140, problem solved.
But the 250 Mallory gerotor on the other car would move some fuel, and it is quite a bit quieter than the blue, the Paxton, or the tf.

I have a Carter hard-mounted to the frame and I can't hear it when the car is running. If it's a street car, you shouldn't need that much pump.

My car has full exhaust

One of the reasons that the Carter pumps are quieter [ & last longer ] is that the fuel is circulated through the electric motor section [ not done with brand H ]. This also helps deaden the sound.

This is the style of isolators I use. The ones pictured are much too small, but they are available in lots of sizes ( a stud bonded in the rubber, and a threaded insert on the other end.)

20221018_220014.jpg

I had the summit knock of that pump and it was completely obnoxious!.. when drag racing no biggie but for the street obnoxious...
Believe it or not for my dual quads I use a simple Edelbrock 4-7 psi electric pump up front and it's very quiet and feeds the carbs plenty... My-2...

I ran a Holley red pump for a few years and it was noisy as hell. Isolation mounts helped but it was still plenty loud. 65'

Just using what i have so i dont have to spend any money at this time. I also have a MR. GASKET electric fuel pump.

Make sure the pump has sufficient capacity. A 300hp engine consumes about 25 gph when the A/F ratio is correct. Use this as a guide. And you want a 50% safety margin so that you do not run lean. In this example, that is about 38-40 gph delivered at the carb, not free low.

-
Back