Electric Choke

-

TXcharger07

I'm awesome
Reaction score
OK probably an easy question... I have a 74 duster, 318/3speed. Obviously was a 2bbl with the electric choke. Now I have a edelbrock performer intake and a edelbrock 600cfm 4bbl with electric choke... I'm having some issues starting the car and I'm hoping that hooking this up will help... I was hoping if someone has a walk through or can explain to me on how to hook this up? please! :)

I tried to search, but I couldn't find anything...

thanks!

needs to be hooked up to a 12 v source that turns on when the key is on.

needs to be hooked up to a 12 v source that turns on when the key is on.

Don't forget the ground too...

Actually the choke should work as is without the 12v power source; power is used to heat the spring coil to expand back to normal condition to open the choke plate

Car should start without 12v to the choke but will take longer to release the choke as the spring needs to heat up and expand - car will probably stall out or run stupid rich until the ambient heat of the engine bay works on the choke spring

TXcharger07- what are your questions exactly?

yeah, the ground... I didn't mention that because all of the carter/edelbrocks I've had, the ground wire is inder one of the screws that holds the top of the carb on... but thanks for mentioning it,

Ya after re-reading I realized that I didn't actually post a question... lol sorry guys. Basically I want to know how to hook it up properly so that it will function. Am I right in thinking that with this properly hooked up that the car will start easier?

Would pictures help?

Ya after re-reading I realized that I didn't actually post a question... lol sorry guys. Basically I want to know how to hook it up properly so that it will function. Am I right in thinking that with this properly hooked up that the car will start easier?

Would pictures help?
If you go out and the car is cold, pushing the gas pedal to the floor once should allow the choke butterflies to close. If they do not, then the previous owner of the varb has the choke pretty much set to not come on. If they do close, then hooking up a hot wire to it will not help anything at all. The only thing the wires do is warm the spring up so the choke butterflies open.

YES, a properly adjusted choke should help the car start a bit easier than no choke or an improperly adjusted one. Too bad you are not in Seattle, we'd get it done for you in about 20-30 minutes or so.

Holley's instuctions say to pick up a 12v lead from something simple like a constant 12v from say the windshield wiper motor, but don't conect to the positive coil lead which has different voltage while the car is running as opposed to key on only.
If you look at summit's site at look at the individual carbs, you can click on the little icon next to the picture of the cabs that says 'instructions".
It will open up a very detailed instruction sheet on how to set up the carb right out of the box and how to tune it one installed.
I found it very informative.

I found that instruction e-book on the summit website! thanks, that'll help. I might have also figured out the trick to starting it last night! thanks for your help guys.

-
Back