Electric cooking fan...

-

Shane

Reaction score
I am adding an electric cooking fan , where is the best spot to connect an ignition source wire under the hood? Is it a good idea to splice into the wire on the starter relay?

Thanks!

BBQ at your place? I ran power directly to the fan and ran a ground wire to my switch. I have a thermo switch gathering dust in it's box because I have been too busy to put it in. I recommend a thermo switch. One time forgetting to switch it on can be catastrophic. Leaving it on results in a dead battery. Ask me how I know.

I don't recommend cooking under your hood.:violent1: but if you want to add electric cooling, I agree with Mopar to ya. Run the fused positive wire directly to the fan from your starter relay post and then run the ground through a relay and temperature controller if you want. Use a new switch on your dash board to control the power to switch on/off the relay (which then switches on/off the fan's ground wire). Make sure you include a fuse on the hot wire to the control side of the relay and the remote switch should also be on the ground side of the control circuit.

Sorry, I should have been more clear... I ordered the derale switch, the one that comes with the temp sender you push through the fins of the rad.

I'm just not sure where I should pick up an ignition wire from under the hood...

Is it a good idea to splice into the wire on the starter relay?

Thanks!
I don't recall that the IGN1 or "run" wire goes to the starter relay, only the IGN2 "start" that only gets power while cranking. The upstream side of the ballast resistor is the easiest place to access IGN1 (blue wire, I recall). However, I doubt that you want to pull all the fan current thru your key switch, since that might melt that circuit. Why not run the fan relay off BATT+. That will allow it to run when the engine if off, but many cars do that for good reason, so it won't boil over after you shut down.

BBQ at your place? I ran power directly to the fan and ran a ground wire to my switch. I have a thermo switch gathering dust in it's box because I have been too busy to put it in. I recommend a thermo switch. One time forgetting to switch it on can be catastrophic. Leaving it on results in a dead battery. Ask me how I know.

Somebody has to ask........how do you know?

Day one, I went to Best Buy, came out half an hour later to a dead battery because i left the toggle switch on. A $60 jump start later, I drove home and ordered the Derale thermo switch. It's still not installed. Stupid me.

Sorry, I should have been more clear... I ordered the derale switch, the one that comes with the temp sender you push through the fins of the rad.

I'm just not sure where I should pick up an ignition wire from under the hood...

I have no idea what you're doing...........................?

But there is only one switched ignition under the hood, and that is........"switched ignition." Which comes out of the bulkhead, is traditionally dark blue, and feeds the igntion system and regulator IGN terminal on 69/ earlier cars, and also feeds alternator field on later cars

Depending on "what you want" it for, use the IGN wire to trigger a relay to run your accessory, and fuse it off the starter relay battery stud.

-
Back